• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lower Windshield Faring

Roger Peterson

Sweeny, Texas
I finally tried using a rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield instead of the alum fairing that Piper used all these years. I got the same rubber that was used on a Zenair 750 and it really worked great. You cannot buy direct form zenair unless your are one of their kit builders and the guy I had order my rubber fairing moved away. Are their any Zenair 701 or 750 owners on this site or has anyone else found a good rubber strip that works on the bottom of the windshield

If I can find some time this week Roger I'll try to drop by and see if Matt will give me some... how many feet do you need?

Do you have a picture so I know the correct profile?

I do not have a picture or drawing of the profile. The one I had great luck with is the one used on the Zenair 750 where the windshield meets the cowl. I will have to about 60" which would give a extra 2 to 3 inches to trim off each end.

Here is a pict of the rubber at the bottom of the windshield.
P1000744.jpgP10007441.jpg

Attachments

• P1000744.jpg
    P1000744.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 212
  • P10007441.jpg
    P10007441.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 225
Okay... looks the same or similar to the old mans 701's rubber, maybe a bit wider / heavier.

Like I said, if I can find some time between all the bs here I'll drop out to Zenair and see what Matt has in house.

Talked to Michael Heintz a few minutes ago... he has some in stock and they sell it in 7' lengths. I'm going to go grab two lengths tomorrow, when I have to go to Midland anyhow, one for you and one for the old mans 701.

PM me an address and I'll get it headed your way Friday.

Wayne

Last edited:
Roger, Your windshield fits very nicely, good job. I do believe that the primary purpose of the aluminum retainer strip is to hold the large piece of plexiglas in place against the air forces which are present in flight. Keeping drafts and water out being a secondary purpose. Plexiglass is brittle especially in cold weather. If/when the air moves it in flight it can break with out advance warning which can possibly cause the loss of control with potentially disastrous results. If you only fly slowly in smooth air without performing any of the maneuvers which can exert twisting loads on the entire airframe you can get away without the aluminum retaining strip. As for me having had the top of a windshield break off while high speed taxing, another hinged windshield swinging wide open in flight and another windshield which was held in place with a rubber retainer pop open in flight, I will use the retainer thank you.

The one which swung open caused the airplane to enter a very high rate of descent until I was able to skid the plane to get it closed. It broke at the side when it slammed shut but a possible crash was prevented.

Gee 3 Windshield accidents to one pilot. You probably get the award for most windshield problems ever. I think that would make my preflight be mainly looking at the windshield.
I seem to be lucky as I have had none in 62 years of flying. We get very little cold weather here in Tx so the brittle windshield is no problem. However, if a plane is left setting outside in the sun, the plex can really get brittle.
It seems to me if you have very good side retainers and retainer at the top of the windshield, the in flight forces will be against the windshield and a metal retainer at the base of the windshield will do nothing.
I have flown this cub that had no metal strip or rubber at all for about 40 hr before we put the rubber on it. Other than some wind leakage, it was fine. See Pict of my Son flying.
P1020935.jpg

Attachments

• P1020935.jpg
    P1020935.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 170
Those 3 incidents (not accidents) were only the big ones. I have seen numerous broken or cracked windshields and windows due to cracking from the screw holes caused by the normal flexing of the plexiglas and poor fitting/sizing of the holes.

Cessna windshields are held in without any screws at all. Just retained by the retainer strips and allowed to float within.

I think it might help then when we cap the windshield top and sides with L shaped alum strips so the total pressured is not against the screws. I oversize my screw holes also..

Rodger,

NOPE. Been awhile since I took Statics but the lower windshield bracket will deffinately see potentially significant loads.

Kirby

Last edited:
Well guys, that rubber lower strip works very well... for a VERY large fleet of Zenairs... and it has for over 3 decades.

Back