• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Welding skis for home built aircraft

XTW

I have a Bushmaster and would like to build my own ski wheels. I was thinking about welding 6061, or another better suited alloy, but can not find any information on welding the main structure instead of a mechanical system. Can anyone give any insite as to why or why not TIG weld? XTW

welded skis have been done... schneider's come to mind...

just design in the welds/aluminum welds are not as strong as the base metal...

If you're gonna weld them, make them out of steel. If you're gonna use aluminum rivet them! Or do a combination of both with welded steel pick up yokes and riveted alum skis. Welded aluminum is for "cracker" boats!

You can build a set of Schneider clone wheel penetration skiis from a single 4x8 sheet of 1/8" aluminum. All welded, and they work great.

I have a Bushmaster and would like to build my own ski wheels. I was thinking about welding 6061, or another better suited alloy, but can not find any information on welding the main structure instead of a mechanical system. Can anyone give any insite as to why or why not TIG weld? XTW

Watch Frenchy's videos and read his reports of building FliLite clones for his airplane in the ski design thread. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?36532-Wheel-ski-design

Combine average tools with above average determination and some guys come up with very clever products and solutions. Frenchy's ski project is impressive. Good stuff.

Last edited:
Back