• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

VGs on a 182

Den

Kodiak AK & Arizona
My buddy wants to put VGs on his 182. He wants to have better control authority at low speeds and is hoping this does it. Anyone know of a 182 that has been so fitted, did it help much?

Thanks

I have a 2005 T182T that I put them on. Like them very much. Just like on my Super Cub.

I've flown with VG's quite a bit on a 180 and like them. My question is has anyone put them on a STOL equipped 180 or 182?

I've flown with VG's quite a bit on a 180 and like them. My question is has anyone put them on a STOL equipped 180 or 182?

I have a friend with a 182 with VG's and an after market leading edge cuff on bush wheels . He really likes the set up ..I can get numbers for you if you like .. RC

I have a friend with a 182 with VG's and an after market leading edge cuff on bush wheels . He really likes the set up ..I can get numbers for you if you like .. RC
That would be great! My friends 180 has a STOL kit but an O470J that's a little anemic. We've been talking about putting VG's on it for a while.

The other thing I would be interested in is aileron authority at low speeds. When I flew 185's for a living one of them had a Robertson STOL kit. I really didn't like the fact that at low speeds in gusty conditions you didn't have enough aileron control and had to use rudder to lift a wing. It's always been a pet theory of mine that VG's would fix it.

VG's and the Horton kit are great. Not much a fan for VG's and the Sportsman.

I own a C150/150 taildragger, and installed a Micro VG kit a couple years ago. I was underwhelmed with the difference in performance. Micro claims a 5% reduction in stall speed- that's probably right but I since I already stalled at just over 40mph indicated that only means about a 2 mph improvement. As far as increased aileron & rudder authority at low speed, there might be some improvement but if so it is very subtle. Maybe a cuffed wing responds better, I don't know, but I don't think I'd do it again on a stock Cessna wing.
BTW the kit for a 150 costs about $700 vs about $1200 as I recall for a 172 or bigger. That's one of the reasons I did it- I didn't wanna spend a couple grand for a sportsman cuff (plus installation costs), but I figgered for only seven bones I wouldn't be out too much if it didn't perform as hoped.

That would be great! My friends 180 has a STOL kit but an O470J that's a little anemic. We've been talking about putting VG's on it for a while.

The other thing I would be interested in is aileron authority at low speeds. When I flew 185's for a living one of them had a Robertson STOL kit. I really didn't like the fact that at low speeds in gusty conditions you didn't have enough aileron control and had to use rudder to lift a wing. It's always been a pet theory of mine that VG's would fix it.

Quickest and easiest improvement to roll control on RSTOL equipped Cessnas is aileron gap seals.

I haven't flown a 182 with VGs, but I put them on my 170, and they did improve (very slightly) roll control. However, they also eliminated the stall precursor buffet entirely. That wing no longer gives any aerodynamic warning of an impending stall. As a consequence, pre VG I was able to work the stall precursor buffet on short short final, and land right at stall speed. With the VGs, I wound up actually having to fly slightly faster on final to keep the plane from dropping out from under me. I don't know how many folks actually work that stall buffet on short approach, but it works well, once you have the feel for it, just prior to touch.

FWIW.

MTV

It's hard for me to imagine anyone who's familiar with their Cessna pre-VG and post-addition of Micro VGs wouldn't sing their praises. My camber lift wing 180 is a better airplane with Micro VGs than it was prior, no question about it. I don't have wing extensions or an aftermarket cuff but I know guys who do. They share my assessment, as do friends who have otherwise stock wings. VGs work great on a Cessna as long as it's flown at speeds that favor adding VGs. They aren't magic but the benefits are real. Read more about it here. Sort the wheat from the chaff as you see fit. http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...VG-quot-s-C-180-J3&highlight=Cessna+180+Micro

They were designed for the stock wing. The Sportsman adds chord, and the two STCs have not been tested for compatibility together. The installer simply uses the stock wing template, which puts the VGs at a different % chord and probably also a different angle.

I have been told the BLR VGs work better with a Sportsman. I have also been told there are deep stall problems with Sportsman/ Micro, but did not explore that regime. Like Mike, I am far more comfortable with the stock wing (cuffed, Cessna or Horton) at very low speeds than I was with Sportsman/ Micro. Comfort is subjective, but Mike gives a reason, something I was never able to do.

I recall the template location had to be plotted relative the the leading edge. Seems like that would account for a cuff, like it does on any post-'73 Cessna wing when compared to a pre-'73.

I have installed all the STOL mods on my 59 182B. VG,s Sportsman and WingX. All of these mods are great if you are flying right on the edge, and or at gross. Other wise the money is best spent on gas.
My 182 was built up for use at my cabin strip 500' on a good day. And all the mods have helped the slow flight performance.

Quickest and easiest improvement to roll control on RSTOL equipped Cessnas is aileron gap seals.
FWIW.

MTV

I thought that the aileron gap seals were part of the Robertson kit? The ailerons need wider hinges to move them away from the trailing edge. This is so that they can get the extra down travel. That is why I thought that the seals were part of the kit.

I thought that the aileron gap seals were part of the Robertson kit? The ailerons need wider hinges to move them away from the trailing edge. This is so that they can get the extra down travel. That is why I thought that the seals were part of the kit.

Pete,

There may be some seals that come with the kit, I'm not sure. BUT, on two 185s with RSTOL that we subsequently added Sportsman kits to, the aileron gap seal that came with the Sportsman was a lot more of a seal, and made a significant difference in roll authority.

MTV

Back