• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Unbelivable derogitory reply about a post, the DEW line

AlaskaAV

GONE WEST
Mission, TX
This e-mail was sent to me for a reply from bharris@ntelos.net. I chose to reply on my web site as finally agreed to by the sender. (Certainly, be my guest. BH)

You readers decide what is going on. I sure don't understand it.

<<<<

Hello Ernie and Larry;

Ernie, you have impressive web sites with lots of Alaskan historical information, especially in the Air Transportation area. But how in the hell come for the life of me you are a foreign object. I was the Manager of Logistics at DEWLine Sector POW-M in 1960 and was associated with the DEWLine from 1956 until 1988 - retiring as the Director and Project Manager of DEWLine, and at no time during that period was there ever an Air Force associated airport at POW-M or Barrow. I also personally knew Jim Dalton (worked for him), Red Severance, and all the other names you mentioned. I was the God father to Neil Bergt's first children (the twins). The Magoffins, Jim and Dottie, were personal friends that I spent time with at their duck camp. I assume you know that Jim committed suicide in January and Dottie past away in March. (heart broken). I still communicate with Neil Bergt at his new home in Homer - talked with him only two days ago. In 1976, when Tony Schultz was flying support missions for the Ididarod trail, he stayed with me and my family in Anchorage as I was at that time Manager of Logistics for White Alice. Give me some names at POW-M that you knew????? You mentioned your association with Great Northern Air - Gene Zerkle - who is a personal friend of mine. Great Northern was a minor player in Alaska Aviation. Until I hear from you, I think that most of your information is more bull shit than anything else. Sorry about that buddy, but I am a 73 year old DEWliner and call things like I see them. Regards, BH

>>>>

BH
You seem to not believe my life and what I have gone through and that gets to me. You are one of 18,000.
Names: First of all, I could start with my wonderful wife from Barrow that you would not believe either but according to your dates, you would have met her at POW MAIN over drinks and dinner in the early 60s. It seems you do not believe I lived and worked there. If you flew out of POW MAIN, military or civilian, you would have meet me and my wife since I ran the airport the terminal along with Jerry.
How about the person that taught me commercial aviation, Jerry Modrow, at PBA.
Thomas Broadly, project manager for Vinnell Corp, Tony Colonesso, Art Bowman, Dewy Phillps, Don Knutsen, John Brown (FECO), and so many others that I dare not mention.
How about the big storm when we lost the runway and saved your guys a** and the AF had to air drop SSP to rebuild it and in the mean time, I had to find a place for our C-46s to land so you could get fresh food so you would not complain so much. Sure, BH, I was not there.
I was within 500 foot of the shore when those huge ice chunks came in with some unbelivable surf for the Arctic Coast. Where were you? I kept a communication line open to the outside while you hid inland and safe. According to you, that meant nothing.
Tear me down BH if you want, makes no difference to me but for what reason, I do not understand.

Gene Zerkel? Ask him who set up his operation at Deadhorse. Or ask Gene Patterson with Great Northern, the same company. He was the guy that hired me in Seattle and gave me an L-188 to move my personal property from Sea to ANC and gave me full authority to set the station up.

You drop names BH, I almost never do but you pushed me this time and I just hope I didn't go beyond limits for these guys.

At any time you feel I should not continue sharing my aviation life, just let me know and I will immediately stop. Just tell Steve and it will be long gone. I have no desire to get into an argument of what I have done or have not done. Everything I have accomplished in my aviation life is on record somewhere if you want to find it. I don't feel I need to take the time to hold you hand and lead you around to locate it though.

Maybe others might disagree of course.

Would you care to hear from them?

Ernie

Ernie;

I can tell you with just a bit of experience (I don't know who this guy is, it was way before my time) that there is something about the water on those radar sites that turns people into cantankerous, grumpy farts, (which is my personal goal, and explains what I do for a living). There were a lot of big shots running all over the place in those days. A few of them, by necessity, were really good at getting the job done and some of them were there because no one wanted them anywhere else.

I would be real disappointed to hear that you lost any sleep over this.

Keep those stories coming.

:cheers

Ernie,
I don't know what this is about either, but don't make too much out of it or take it too personally. I enjoy reading the stories that you have shared (haven't read them all, but alot of them...). Being a guy who grew up in AK during some of that period and has now hit the half century mark, they bring back a lot of memories, smiles and even a few tears over 'the way it was'. Please let it roll off your back and not let this turn into 'Rant & Rave' material. Your section on the site is a refreshing break from the crap that is going on in the R&R forum. I hope I am in the majority this time on SC.org w/ my opinion.
Regards
Chris

Alaska

Ernie,

This man has a mountain of trivial knowledge. I would like to ask him if he knew the professional football player that froze to death when Andy Runyon of Glen Allen had his accident. Andy , Master Guide, from the early days.

Mikey said:
Ernie,
I don't know what this is about either, but don't make too much out of it or take it too personally. I enjoy reading the stories that you have shared (haven't read them all, but alot of them...). Being a guy who grew up in AK during some of that period and has now hit the half century mark, they bring back a lot of memories, smiles and even a few tears over 'the way it was'. Please let it roll off your back and not let this turn into 'Rant & Rave' material. Your section on the site is a refreshing break from the crap that is going on in the R&R forum. I hope I am in the majority this time on SC.org w/ my opinion.
Regards
Chris

Not to worry Chris
I have talked to the owner of the DEW LINE hishory site and he will take care of that person. I really suspect it was a situation of being Friday night and too many pints to the point that a foot got lost in someone's mouth which let his fingers override his mind. The funny part is if he really was there at the time, he would have had to know me since I managed the terminal and airport facilities at POW MAIN. And, if he flew the Dew Line as he said he did, he would have had to fly Wien since we were the only carrier after Interior.

Ernie

I have been involved with aviation only for 25 years or so, and what has always most attracted me to this field is the friendship, comradery and closeness among all the people I have met.
No boundaries or nationalities were ever able to to change that; I found new friends and learned from aviators and aviation enthusiasts in Holland, Germany, England, Malaysia, Taiwan and the USA etc.

Why is it that in this group there are sometimes these strong feelings and statements made public that upset one of us? Why is there even a rant and rave section here?

I enjoy reading all the postings, learn from the wealth of knowledge we have gathered on this website and I respect the experience and the advice from everyone that contributes tho this website.
Let's concentrate on our love and interest of aviation and airplanes and how it has shaped our lives and share it among our group, but let's think a bit about what or how we write about something we disagree about. I do not see any merit in getting any of us or our guests to this website upset.

I do want to thank all the "regulars" who contribute to this website on a regular basis and share their technical advice, stories and photos and who provide to me and countless others many hours of magnificent entertainment.

Oh and by the way, as always, I am looking forward to the next story about Alaska aviation history...

Without a doubt Ryan, supercub.org has to have the best bunch of great guys and gals sharing aviation I have yet to see. In a way, every member has their own knowledge to share freely and since I am a new member, I am trying to pick up on what the Cubs have done since I quite flying them back in the 50s and went into commercial aviation.
Almost without an exception, if I ask a question about something, someone will have an answer. As most will say, the only stupid question about aviation is the question that was not asked.

As everyone who grows apples knows, in every basket there will be a bad apple so most sites set aside an area for them.
We are just very lucky to have the great bunch of people that Steve and Dana have put together to make this site work.

Without a doubt Ryan, supercub.org has to have the best group of guys and gals interested in aviation that I have found anywhere on the Internet. Ask a question and someone will have an answer and almost no one puts another down for asking a question. After all, in aviation, the only stupid question is the one that was not asked.
I am a new member trying to catch up on what the Cubs have been doing since I quit flying them in the 50s and went into commercial aviation and when I ask a question, someone will always explain something to me. What a great feeling and if someone asks me about commercial aviation, I will do my best to answer the question.

I receive PM and e-mail from all over the world about my stories and yes, even some in Spanish which I enjoy. It is so much fun rewriting the stories and bringing back the memories to share with everyone. Makes my day.

As any citrus grower knows, when growing apples or oranges, there will always be a bad one in a bushel and it happens on an aviation web site also. If the bad apple or orange is not removed, it will spoil the whole bushel. Almost all sites have a special area to let off steam as long as it doesn't get out of control.
If you were referring to my post about the upsetting e-mail I received, it has been worked out and it came from a contributor to the site I linked to about the DEW Line, not anyone from the supercub.org site. Larry and I do not feel it will happen again so that is water under the bridge. Just not the London Bridge, I still have that one for sale along with the Manhattan Bridge and the Eiffel Tower. :wink:

We are so very lucky that Steve and Dana have found such a great bunch of aviation minded members that make this web site work as it does.

Be sure and check out the Chat area on Wed, Fri and Sun nights at 6 PM, Pacific time. You can sure learn a lot just by reading.

Ernie: Bet this guy also claims to have spent Christmas eve of '69 on a Swift boat, 50 miles inside Cambodia. Remembers it like yesterday, but was never there :-? Crash

Re: Truth

Crash said:
Bet this guy also claims to have spent Christmas eve on a Swift boat, 50 miles inside Cambodia. :-? Crash

Could be he was flying the sled out of the North Pole that night.

The gang

No body can beat up on Ernie except us SuperCub members! Everyone else back off. Keep writting Ernie...

Back