• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ultralight Crash, or An experiment in deadly downwind turns

gbflyer said:
Sorry Dave. It did seem a little like the spray guys were getting raked over the coals,
I’ve had my foot in my mouth most of my life but it seems as though when ever I’ve been raked over the coals I’ve been wrong on some level or another. Is there an element of truth to this statement?

Dave Calkins said:
Should we pick up the argument here again? MTV, -Geezer, Ag-pilot, S2D, HydroCub, Lippy, others who I did not mention but weighed in????
DAVE

Dave- I don’t know… it seems as though the preponderance of evidence is on our side! What say you? Why else would gusts and turbulence now be a factor? I made my case as clearly and best I could and think this cowboy is going fishing now… Perhaps I’ll be feistier after a long weekend of fish not biting!:bang

I will however publicly apologize and admit I was wrong if someone can describe and analyze this topic with physics and not a posterior feeling.

Lippy
:stupid

Dave Calkins said:
I still stand by my statement to Lasater about a subsiding gust increasing the a/c's airspeed.

'gust' is the key.

DAVE

Yeah, if the tailwind subsides, that's exactly the same as a headwind increasing. The change in air motion (its acceleration) is in the same direction in each case. NOW the drag/thrust balance is suddenly out of equilibrium, and will take time to re-equilibrate.

There ya go, Dave. Were you feeling lonely on that one? :lol:

Dave Calkins said:
If this whole 'downwind turn' discussion was based on 'gust factor', or low-level turbulence, I would not have been arguing for my position.

DAVE

Dave
Go back and reread all my posts, I always said I felt it when the air was squirrely. You were the one that said all downwind turns are irrelevant.
Sprayed yesterday in a 10+ mph wind and never experienced it once, because the air was solid as a rock.

None of you naysayers have ever answered my question about good/bad air. Didn't they cover that in Physics 101?

Lippy said:
I made my case as clearly and best I could and think this cowboy is going fishing now…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L14UKBjC5Is

Lippy said:
I will however publicly apologize and admit I was wrong if someone can describe and analyze this topic with physics and not a posterior feeling.

I can just imagine what the first physicist felt like when he said I think we can fly faster than the speed of sound.

This exactly my problem with your opinion, you say that a force of nature causes the accelerating mass law to apply but are unwilling to admit that that same force can be applied physically by turning abruptly into a tailwind.

As a side note, I posed the question in an unbiased manner to all three of the First Officers (we're having staffing problems) I had on this last trip. They all agreed on the accelerating mass scenario of a downwind turn. The question was this, "What factors are associated with a low level, downwind departure turn?" Their answers were all relatively the same and went something like "besides the obvious visual aspect and terrain considerations that may become a factor due to the increase in ground speed, there will be also be a performance degradation as the aircraft accelerates its mass".

And for MTV, while one guy was an Embry Riddle DUDE, the other two were U of North Dakota grads, so I guess they teach it a little different in the BIG building to the northwest.

So... I see the argument as not one of "does or does not exist" but of "can it be induced". We say it "can" you say it "can not". Those of us on the "can" side are not arguing laws of physics as much as trying to expand on the basic student pilot aircraft dynamics everyone was taught.

If you are going to cling to the belief that the dangers associated with a low level downwind turn are simply visual, do us all a favor and get a little more altitude before you make it. We don't want to lose a good debater :D

S2D,

In gusty wind conditions, all bets are off. Point was, you weren't the only one arguing the "downwind turn" issue--others noted that it happens any time there's a wind, gusty or not.

BUT, gusty wind conditions can and do cause issues EVEN IF YOU DON'T TURN. Airline guys all know that, and I'm sure you've experienced a "sinking feeling" right after takeoff in a gusty condition in a heavily loaded plane.

I agree that you have to be REALLY careful when you use the terms "always" or "never" relative to aviation and aerodynamics.

Taledrger,

What makes you think EVERYTHING they teach over in the Forks is gospel?? I've had a good half dozen "discussions" with those folks about regulatory issues, aerodynamics and aircraft systems, and to date they've been proven wrong on every one. I've been proven wrong once or twice my own self--so there. Oh, and by the way, remember that UND has some very knowledgeable classroom instructors, and some very experienced FLIGHT instructors. I'm guessing that those UND DUDES were sleeping in class that day, but believed everything that 200 hour flight instructor told em....:lol:

Nevertheless, again, when you are discussing this issue you have to be specific. Steady state winds. No gust factors. etc Gust factors are very difficult to describe, and NASA and the FAA have done a LOT of research there.

As to inertia playing a role here, I don't buy it for most aircraft (EXCEPT IN GUSTY CONDITIONS). Most of these maneuvers happen so slowly that inertia really isn't a factor.

Keep on keepin on, folks.

MTV

Mike,
The reference to UND was meant in jest. I just forgot the smiley. Just to be clear, no offense was intended.

Hi Taledrger
Thanks, you said it much better than I could have.

mvivion said:
S2D,
others noted that it happens any time there's a wind, gusty or not.
MTV

Hi Mike welcome back :) If I was "others" in this text, I generalized because the wind "always" moves and of course at times is less predictable. BTW, this doesn't mean I believe wind is the only contributor :lol:

mvivion said:
I've been proven wrong once or twice my own self--so there
MTV

Get out!?!?!? really??? you are starting to sound a little like me :lol:

As to inertia playing a role here, I don't buy it for most aircraft (EXCEPT IN GUSTY CONDITIONS). Most of these maneuvers happen so slowly that inertia really isn't a factor.
MTV

I believe most folks have agreed this deal is most common slow, but heavy ie: first couple of turns... so when you exit a field at say 12,000 lbs and 135 mph is there any inertia generated?

Newton's conception of inertia stood in direct opposition to more popular conceptions about motion.....the idea which dominated people's thinking for nearly 2000 years prior to Newton was that it was the natural tendency of all objects to assume a rest position.

I am not smart enough to contribute much to this converstaion, but I am smart enough to instigate and then listen and learn 8) having experienced "feelings" contrary to the current school of thought, I cling to the notion that there is more to be learned here. Maybe it will only take another 2000 years :wink: ... then again maybe I will be perpetually wrong
:lol:
Take care, Rob

More than anything, I'm a little unhappy that some one else was awarded the meister-baiter title. I got you guys in this again. smiley face!

S2D said:
None of you naysayers have ever answered my question about good/bad air. Didn't they cover that in Physics 101?

Brain, of course I believe in good and bad air, meaning gusty, turbulent air. Sorry I never answered the question directly.

Taledrager, did you 'get' the 'subsiding gust' example. I don't think I saw your response. Maybe you're just resistive to agreeing with anything I write. Could we (all in this discussion) move on from that and learn something here instead?

Also, Tdger, you said this in your post above "...This exactly my problem with your opinion, you say that a force of nature causes the accelerating mass law to apply but are unwilling to admit that that same force can be applied physically by turning abruptly into a tailwind."

Will you state the example where I said that "....force of nature causes the accelerating mass law to apply..."? If you meant my statement about Wayne M.'s scenario of turning downwind abruptly immediately after there is air under his tires on takeoff, I think I know what you think I mean. We should revisit that, as I don't believe anyone really responded to it, yeah or neah. I'll come back to it later.

Back to the "...turning abruptly into a tailwind...", as you said. These overloaded agplanes are not turning abrupty on the first several passes. The pilots are ekeing all they can out of 'em and cannot turn abruptly, so I am told.

DAVE

First of all, "abrubtly" has nothing to do with with the relative wind problem.

Secondly re this quote:
The question was this, "What factors are associated with a low level, downwind departure turn?" Their answers were all relatively the same and went something like "besides the obvious visual aspect and terrain considerations that may become a factor due to the increase in ground speed, there will be also be a performance degradation as the aircraft accelerates its mass"

This situation is a "departure turn". That could be VERY different, depending on how one interprets the word 'departure'. If immediately after liftoff, that is a completely different set of conditions than for a plane that is already in steady-state flight. The plane could very well have a considerable amount of skid happening.

Dave Calkins said:
S2D said:

Brain, of course I believe in good and bad air, meaning gusty, turbulent air. Sorry I never answered the question directly.

No Dave that is not what I'm asking.
I'm not comparing calm air to gusty winds.
Will an airplane feel and perform the same in the morning after the temp has gone from 40 deg to 75 deg as it does in the evening after the temperature has gone from 100 degrees to 75 degrees. given the same windspeed. Assume its dead calm in both cases if you want. Have you ever gone out on a 60 deg day and the plane flys like a champ, yet go out another 60 deg day and it flys like a dog?

Can you go out in the evening and when you get to a half load, do hammerhead turns that feel like you stopped at the apex yet go out the next morning with the temperature 20 deg colder and half as big a load and not even come close to doing a hammerhead turn. Or go out in the evening and the airspeed indicator is showing you are flying 15 miles an hour slower that you normally do for the same power settings and you can't figure out why. There're lots of mysteries out there that I have no answer to, but I see them day after day and you think cause the book doesn't say so, and you never put yourself in that position, they don't exist. Well they do. But you can't just go out and simulate them cause they may not exist today.

Turns

After combining today I took 12geezer for a little coyote hunt. We made a bunch of down-wind turns in a :good" 10-12 mph wind. No problem (unless you were a coyote) I was thinking about the ground reference/speed thing you guys are so proud of and I honestly pay ZERO attention to how fast the ground is going by! It is all done by feeling the airplane and giving it what it wants, and holding a little in reserve for when you git caught with something unexpected.
I am still convinced that turning up wind is way safer than down wind turns and once you learn to feel the airplane you should stop using ground reference as a indicator of reserve lift!
Come on guys, man up and admit it,,,,,all you guys have is physicists that have mostly never flown a airplane let alone low and slow and heavy! :D :D

Learn something.... That's rich. You have a group of highly experienced pilots trying to tell you that there is more to the downwind experience besides your laws of physics in order to help save your butt and you won't give up on your science books. Who's not willing to learn?
I'll take my 6 years flying ag, 14 years flying turbo props in the Rockies, doing 6 and 8 degree microwave approaches 3 and 4 times a day and now 15 years flying heavily loaded jets and refrain from any more attempts to help you become a safer pilot.

Like many others before me I now bid you a fond farewell.

The question was this, "What factors are associated with a low level, downwind departure turn?" Their answers were all relatively the same and went something like "besides the obvious visual aspect and terrain considerations that may become a factor due to the increase in ground speed, there will be also be a performance degradation as the aircraft accelerates its mass

A favorite quote - - "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions"

So do it on instruments, and let us know how you distinguish upwind turns from downwind turns by reference to flight instruments alone - no navigational references. Please include the numbers from your measurements - this could be fascinating!

Re: turns

ag-pilot said:
Sorry Gordon, It was 12geezer2 AKA Flapjack Dan
Dave

Yeah Dave, I figgered that. Wish it were me!! Spent the day revising my class paperwork, copying handouts, and writing lesson plans. The kids are back to school next Tuesday, but us old 'uns started last Monday.

Taledrger said:
Learn something.... That's rich. You have a group of highly experienced pilots trying to tell you that there is more to the downwind experience besides your laws of physics in order to help save your butt and you won't give up on your science books. Who's not willing to learn?
I'll take my 6 years flying ag, 14 years flying turbo props in the Rockies, doing 6 and 8 degree microwave approaches 3 and 4 times a day and now 15 years flying heavily loaded jets and refrain from any more attempts to help you become a safer pilot.

Like many others before me I now bid you a fond farewell.

What, another Husky pilots swears off SC.org? For Good? Seriously, I hope this is not true.

Taledrager, I'm hoping to find an explanation for the 'mass acceleration' idea in regard to the 'downwind turn'. Maybe it's not worthy of your time.

Brian(S2D) yes, bad air. I find good air on cold days usually. Sometimes a warm day is different. Of course, you fly that ag plane very close to the edge. I've never driven that heavily of a loaded wing. Your mileage probably varies from mind in regard to bad air.

Ag-pilot (Dave), of course you/we are feeling our way, giving it what it wants, the guy who doesn't is the guy who scares me. That's the guy who needs to be warned away from 'watching the ground go by'.

12 Geezer said:

So do it on instruments, and let us know how you distinguish upwind turns from downwind turns by reference to flight instruments alone - no navigational references. Please include the numbers from your measurements - this could be fascinating!

Geezer
the loss of 15 mph indicated some evenings is using instruments. But I still can't explain it. And I'm sure as hell not going to go solely on instruments below 100ft. If I can only get 15 deg bank on a downwind turn and 45 deg bank on an upwind turn, that's enough instruments for me.

So do it on instruments, and let us know how you distinguish upwind turns from downwind turns by reference to flight instruments alone - no navigational references. Please include the numbers from your measurements - this could be fascinating

Gordon, You tell me how I'm gonna make passes on coyotes or spray on instruments and I'm game if your going to be my "check" pilot! I think by the time we get the instruments mounted, that will allow this kind of flying the old super cub will never leave the ground.

Speaking of tests:
I would say a better test is for you to go load up your favorite "steed" to at or over gross, hang all kinds of "stuff" off the struts (spray booms or coyotes) pick a nice hot day so the density altitude is up over 6000' just to make it interesting, and fly from daylight to dark (18 hours or so) making low level max performance turns all day then come back and tell me if my ass is lying or if maybe just maybe "Newton" et al: didn't have quite as much stick time as some of the people that I respect's opinion. When Some old crop duster that has 60 seasons and over 30,000 accident free hours (still spraying this year,80 years old) or some old coyote hunter that flew and did all his own gunning for 50 years and has 10,000 hours on the "last new cub" he bought speaks,,,It gets real quiet cuz I'm listening real close. Not to run down "Newton" but I think his log book was a little thin.
Dave

PS: be careful with all those turns,,,, I'm enjoying our little cuss and discussion!

SJ should stitch these two downwind threads together, methinks!

I think after I did that all day I'd be too weary to have an opinion! But don't blame Newton, it was Galileo that came up with this relativity stuff. But he won't care if nobody agrees, cuz he already got in real hot water for insisting that geocentrism wasn't true - so he was accustomed to being a lone voice of truth in a wilderness of mistaken, but unified, belief. 8) That was to help the 'cuss' part of the discussion. :lol:

So - Dave and S2D - your arguments seem to focus on two things: low & heavy, and bad air. Bad air I won't argue with, cuz all I've said has had to do with steady wind. But low and slow doesn't make any difference with the upwind/downwind stuff, EXCEPT for three things I can think of that are in ADDITION to, not contrary to, the arguments I've been making. The first is the wind shear idea proposed by Mike V. That makes perfect sense. Second is "bad" burbly or unsteady air, which would make that even worse. And the third is the necessity for ag guys to be intently focused on the ground. Not only for control at low altitude, but for swath position. That intense ground focus is going to exacerbate the perceptive aspect that some of us keep bringing up.

By the way, my son was reading this thread, and he said something like "hey, by talking all the time about 'percerception' it's like telling these guys they're misperceiving the truth". Oh - I hadn't thought about that interpretation of the word. It's not what I meant. What I meant was - the sensory inputs we get, mostly visual, when flying close to the ground. I intended 'perception' to mean simply what we perceive by our senses (sight, sound, vestibular, etc)

I am not sure why I am doing this but I am going to try once more. Anytime an aircraft executes a 180 degree turn (any turn for that matter), inertia (Newton's laws of motion) has an effect on the aircraft. Whenever a change in direction or speed relative to the original speed or direction of the aircraft is forced by using the flight controls or the throttle inertia must be overpowered; the mass of the aircraft wants to continue at its original speed and direction (Newton's law). There is no connection between the earth and the aircraft. What I think a lot of folks are missing is that the effects of inertia are relative to the original motion of the aircraft and not relative to Earth. If this were not true then in calm air making a turn from East to West would make the aircraft fall out of the sky immediately. After all the Earth is turning on its axis from the West to the East at a tremendous rate of speed along with the air mass in which the aircraft flys.

As long as you are not confusing your ground speed with your air speed then you have nothing to fear from a down wind turn at any altitude.

Wind gusts, on-the-other-hand are a different problem altogether. Again think about Newton's laws of motion. The airplane wants to continue on in the same direction at the same speed and external forces are required to change that (drag, power, control forces, ...etc.) If the wind changes in speed or direction or you fly into a wind-shear and if that results in an immediate decrease in a head-wind or increase in a tailwind you might fall out of the sky if due to inertia your airspeed drops below the stalling speed of the wing (the critical angle-of-attack is exceeded).

The bottom line is that inertial effects are based only on the changes in speed and/or direction and are not influenced by speed of the air relative to the ground or the speed of the Earth around the Sun or the rotational speed of the Earth, ...etc. ...Clyde Davis

Taledrger said:

Nicely put Bob!!
I just hope the inexperienced pilot will pay attention.
I too baled on this thread awhile back, but your statement
needed to be quoted again, by another Ag-pilot.

Before I go.... Clyde, I flew my last 11,000ac. last year with no
airspeed indicator(bird sheered it off) never look at it anyway,
kinda like the stall warning that breakers pulled, it's to annoying.
I, like the other ag guys fly on feel, don't matter what plane it is.
So I'm not sure where we get confused.

Ag Dave and Brian you're back on.

Brad

Brad, where'd you find that avatar? I can just picture you diving on those bugs, with all guns - oops, nozzles - blazing away!!

Coming late to the party here, I've been in Tampa in simulator training I'm trading in the DC-6 for the Herc. Anyway, against my better judgment I'll weigh in here.

First off, I don't take the position that there isn't "bad air" particularly down low. No doubt that with convection, wind gradients, obstacle effects on the wind, and a myriad of other things, some days are better for flying on the ragged edge than others.

That said, it appears from the reading I've done (and I admit that haven't read every post on all 10 or so pages of the 2 threads) that there are folks who believe that at say, 10,000 ft, in a steady, uniform, consistent wind, with no shear, or vertical air motion, you can turn an airplane "downwind" and stall the airplane in a turn which wouldn't stall the airplane if that same turn was performed in still, calm air.

The fallacy comes because it *seems* like the inertia of the airplane will resist the acceleration required to maintain airspeed in the downwind turn, and that the airplane requires more acceleration to maintain airspeed in the downwind turn. This fallacy is seductive, because on the face of it is *seems* so *right* and I can certainly see the appeal of that line of thinking. The trouble is, it is just a fallacy, the aircraft turning "downwind" accelerates at the identical rate as the airplane turning at the same turn rate in still air. Let’s take all the "seems like", "common sense tells you" and other fuzzy thinking out of the equation and analyze what is actually happening, using numbers. It’s not hard to do.

Acceleration is defined as change in velocity per unit of time. So what is the required acceleration?

Take an airplane flying first directly north at 50 knots, then turning at standard rate, constant altitude and airspeed turn 180 degrees to directly south..

We’ll consider only north/south winds, so we need only consider north/south acceleration. East west acceleration becomes irrelevant.

So, what is the acceleration when this is done in still air? Immediately before the turn, the velocity is 50 knots north, and immediately after the turn the velocity is 50 knots south, so the velocity change is 100 knots (168.8 ft/sec). The change takes place in exactly one minute, so the average north-south acceleration during the turn is 100 knots/minute , or 2.81 ft/sec./sec

Ok, now what happens when we make the same turn in a wind? Lets say we have a 25 knot wind out of the north. Now, I’ll consider the groundspeed here, because that is what causes the erroneous perception. In reality, it’s only the airspeed that matters, but the results won’t change if you consider the groundspeed correctly.

What is the groundspeed before the turn? 25 knots north
After the turn? 75 knots south
Net change in goundspeed? 100 knots (The velocity difference between 25 knots one way and 75 knots the opposite direction is 100 knots or 168.8 ft/sec)

Time to turn 180 degrees in a standard rate turn? 1 minute.

Average acceleration ? 100 knots per minutes or 2.81 ft/sec/sec. The average acceleration through the turn, after you add a wind, is identical, right out to however many decimal places you want to carry it out to.

OK, how about a really big wind, surely if we use enough wind the airplane will have to accelerate faster to keep flying speed right? Well let’s take a look. Let’s say we had a 200 knot wind out of the north.

Groundspeed before the turn 150 knots south (50 knots in a 200 knot head wind).
Groundspeed after the turn 250 knots south. (50 knots plus a 200 knot tail wind)
Change in groundspeed 100 knots (168.8 ft/sec)
Time to turn 180 degrees in a standard rate turn? Still 1 minute.

Average acceleration needed to maintain 50 kt. airspeed? Still 100 knots in one minute, or 2.81 ft/sec/sec.

I know what some of you are thinking. You’re saying, well a standard rate turn isn’t a much of a turn, it’s such a gradual turn that the airplane has enough time to accelerate downwind, you need a faster turn to get the "wind blowing backward over your wing causing you to fall out of the sky" effect.

OK, let’s use a faster turn, see how that changes things. Lets use a 45 degree bank. Lets say that our airplane can bank 45 degrees at 50 knots without stalling, and that it has sufficient power to circle indefinitely at 45 degrees bank and 50 knots in a level turn without loosing airspeed. And lets further say that 50 kt is hte slowest this airplane can fly in a 45 degree bank, 49.5 knots and it falls out of the sky. 45 degrees bank at 50 knots will give a turn rate of approximately 22 degrees per second (from the chart on pg. 179 of Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators) That means that the 180 degree turn will take about 8.2 seconds.

So what is the acceleration in still air?

50 knots north to 50 knots south is still a change of 100 knots. The 180 degree turn now takes 8.2 seconds, so the average acceleration needed is 100 knots/8.2 seconds, or 20.6 ft/sec/sec.

Now, let’s see what the acceleration is in the dreaded downwind turn. Let’s skip right to a really big wind and not piddle around with insignificant 25 knot winds. Let’s use the same 200 knot north wind we used before with a standard rate turn.

Groundspeed before the turn? 150 knots south
Groundspeed after the turn? Must be 250 knots south, 249.4 knots across the ground (49.5 kt. airspeed) and the airplane stalls
Total velocity change required. 100 knots (168.8 ft/sec)
Time for velocity change 8.2 seconds
Average acceleration needed to maintain 50 kt airspeed? 168.8/8.2 = 20.6 ft/sec/sec

Huh, turns out even in a really steep bank, really low airspeed, high turn rate and ridiculously huge wind, the acceleration needed to maintain airspeed in the turn with a 200 kt. wind is identical to the same turn in still air.

And that is where the rubber meets the road. All the downwind turn theories depend on "inertia causing the airplane to not accelerate fast enough to maintain airspeed" with the fundamental flawed belief that the acceleration *must* be greater if you turn downwind or you lose airspeed.

However, when you actually analyze what the required acceleration is, by taking the velocity before, the velocity after, and the time of the turn, (change in velocity divided by time is the only valid way you can consider acceleration, because that is the definition of acceleration) we find that the wind makes absolutely no difference in the acceleration required through the turn in order to come out the other side with 50 knots of airspeed.

Now some of you are probably thinking, yes but that is the *average* acceleration, the acceleration varies during the turn. Well, yes, the acceleration in hte north/south direction does vary, but just like the *average* acceleration remains identical out the nth decimal place, regardless of the wind, so does the acceleration at any particular point during the turn. Think about it, the acceleration during the turn changes significantly, but the *average* acceleration remains the same? Not likely. For those of you who are unswayed by the unlikeness of that, we can take a more analytical look at the situation.

Yes, it is true that the acceleration during the turn changes, more specifically, the acceleration in the North/South direction (which is what we’re interested in) changes, the total acceleration during a constant turn remains the same. The north south component of the acceleration will be greatest at the 90 degree point of the turn and the least at the 0 degree and 180 degree points in the turn. So lets look at the point where the acceleration is the greatest, that’s where we’ll fall out of the sky right?

First off, what is the lateral (across the ground) acceleration? Well, it we stick with the 45 degree bank, the lateral acceleration is conveniently, 1 g , or 32.2 ft/sec/sec. I see some of you saying, no, a 45 degree turn is more than 1 g, well yes and no. It gives a "load factor factor" of 1.414 but that’s 1 g of gravity vertically and 1 g of horizontal acceleration, add Pythagorean theorem and that gives you 1.414 g aligned with your butt in the seat. So, 1 g lateral acceleration for a 45 degree banked turn. Now in a zero wind situation, what is our groundspeed (or airspeed, no difference if there’s no wind) at the exact 90 degree point in the turn? Zero, right? That’s the precise point when our groundspeed (and airspeed) is reversing from just a little in the north direction to just a little in the south direction. And right at the reversal, north/south groundspeed (and airspeed) is zero. So let’s examine that one second bracketing the precise 90 degree point. One half second after the reversal, the north/south groundspeed is 16.1 ft sec (9.5 knots) to the south, Acceleration is 32.2 ft/sec/sec, and we’ve accelerated at that rate for 1 half second from zero north/south groundspeed, (32.2 * 0.5 = 16.1 ft/sec). Similarly, at one half second before the 90 degree point the north/south groundspeed (and airspeed) is 9.5 knots in the north direction. So in that second the groundspeed and airspeed changes from 16.1 ft/sec (9.5 kt.) north to 16.1 ft/sec (9.5 kt) south for a total velocity change of 32.2 ft/sec in one second which is an acceleration of 32.2 ft/sec/sec or one g.

Well what if we throw a wind in there? Again, we’ll use the 200 knot wind because that ought to magnify any small effects. So, in a 200 kt wind out of the north, what is the airplane’s north/south groundspeed at the exact 90 degree point? As we saw in the still wind case the north south airspeed goes to zero, so the groundspeed must be 200 kt. (337.6 ft/sec) to the south. A half second before the 90 degree point, groundspeed is 190.5 kts. (321.5 ft/sec) south (200 knots wind to the south plus 9.5 knots airspeed to the north = 190.5 knots to the south) one half second after the 90 degree point the groundspeed is 209.5 kt (353.6 ft/sec) to the south (200 knots wind to the south plus 9.5 knots airspeed to the south = 209.5). So, over that one second centered on the 90 degree point in the turn the north/south groundspeed goes from 190.5 knots south to 209.5 knots south, a change of 19 knots (32 ft/second) in one second when is 32 ft/second/second, which is the same acceleration we had in the no wind condition.

I could go on, and do the same analysis for the 45 and 135 degree points for the turn, or any other point, but the math will start to get complicated, and the answer will always be the same. A constant, unaccelerated wind will not change the acceleration of the plane in the turn, one iota, nor will it change the acceleration required to maintain airspeed as you turn down wind.

Excellent presentation, and correct in nearly every detail. Only about two tiny editorial glitches, each of which are clarified in subsequent sentences. Very nicely done.

Oh yeah?.........What do you DC-6 drivers know about low and slow and underpowered and heavy? :D

Andrew, did you read my description of Wayne's "....just get air under the wheels on a crosswind takeoff, and abruptly turn downwind..." issue? Any thoughts about that scenario? I know I'm right with my description, but I'd sure like to hear someone else talk about it like you did here.

Thanks, and enjoy the -130. DAVE

WARNING This thread is now closed. Please direct all quotes and replies to the UtraLight Thread

Back