• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

U-7 & L-21 Super Cubs (dialup beware)

Christina Young

Andover-Aeroflex, 12N
I liked Torch's narrative about his fishing trip last week with the pictures, and several people remarked that it would be great if more people show where they fly their cubs (even if they aren't as spectacular as Alaska?)!

Unfortunately, Lake Aeroflex isn't frozen yet, so no ice fishing pics here! :roll:

However, Alex Davidson who has a very nice U-7 told me about a taildragger fly-in this past weekend in Massey, eastern Maryland (MD1), and I decided to fly my L-21 supercub down there from Andover as well.

We took some aerial pictures of each others planes on the way back, since we don't have very many aerial photos. Incidently, although a lot of planes showed up at the fly-in, we were the only two super cubs! I guess Maryland is not "super cub country" :eek: . There were a few J-3's, though.

This is Alex's U-7 super cub heading over the northern part of the Chesapeake Bay. His cub has the slotted Dakota wings, and is slow. I was throttled way back during the flight home so he could keep up with me :wink: .

U7_30pct_3.jpg

Alex's cub over northern Maryland, near the Pennsylvania & Delaware border. Was a beautiful day for a flyin - actually gorgeous weather all weekend here.

U7_30pct_4.jpg

Alex flying over the southeastern Pennsylvania farmland.

U7_30pct_1.jpg

Alex took this picture of me over rural western New Jersey. You can just barely make out the shadow of the Manhattan skyline on the horizon, over 60 miles away.

L21B_80pct_1.jpg

Me over the forests of northwest New Jersey.

L21B_80pct_2.jpg

Alex almost back home at Andover, just before sunset.

U7_30pct_2.jpg

Hope you guys liked these pics of "eastern" super cubs! :eek:
[/u]

Wish I had know there was the fly-in. Im in N.Va. and would have been there in a heart beat. The weather could have not been any better. At least there would have been another SuperCub!!!

Norm

I didn't hear about it either, until the day before when Alex mentioned something about it at the airport. I guess you have to be a part of the secret fly-in club to know! Yes, would have been nice to have another SC there. Doesn't seem to be any SC-specific gatherings on the east coast..... they're all out west! Yet I know there are SC's around.

Both have 8242 borers and the same engine (150HP O-320A2B). But mine has the thrustline mod and the Leading Edge exhaust system, so maybe that accounts for some of the difference.

I kind of wanted to post these pictures because most people think of NJ as a smoggy, smokestack, rustbelt place. Maybe if you go around the Newark Airport area and the turnpike it is. But not the northwest part, which is mostly ridges, lakes, forest, deer and black bears.

Christina,

Great pictures thanks for posting them. I'd be really curious to hear Alex's thoughts on the slow flight handling of his slotted wing cub. I have the extended Dakota wing with the slots on mine.

Gunny, Alex reads this board, but I've never seen him post here! I don't even know what his website name is for this board!

I do know that since he went to the borer, his cub gets off the ground faster than anyone I've seen in my very limited cub experience - even other cubs with borers, vg's, bigger engines etc. That probably has a lot to do with those wings.

Pictures

Great country Christina. It looks like you had fun, wish I was there. You might put on your own cub flyin for next year. You would be suprised how quick the word gets around, and put up some flyers and advertise. Alot of cub owners just want to go to a cub flyin. I bet you would be suprised how many cubs are in your area. Take care

Bill Ingerson

Hey, there was a red and white PA-12 there as well! Not sure if that classifies as a Super Cub or not! I know it's not as nice as your planes, but it's a blast to fly.

It was a nice fly-in. I really liked seeing both of your planes, too bad I didn't get to see you guys. The U-7's take off performance was impressive! It turned alot of heads. You guys were departing New Garden Airport as I was arriving. Hope to see you guys at the next north east flyin. I'll keep you posted on any that I know about.

Back