• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

tire change

cfranks

Idalou, TX
I just invested in a super cub and have never owned one before. I will be using it on pavement half the time and landing on very clumpy grass (love grass, etc) and pasture the other half. It is a 150 horse with 8.5X6's. Would it be better if I put 26' goodyears on it vs the 8.5's? I have a very tight budget but am worried about the wheat field, pasture landings on the smaller tires.
This is my first very first post and very first taildragger so would appreciate your valuable experience/input. I will be spending most of my money on avgas and dual instruction at first...Thank you for the help.

a set of REAL big tires cost less than a prop and an engine teardown.. if you only put it on its nose ... not to mention if you flip it......

There ain't much difference between 26" goodyear tires and regular ol 8:50 tires....in fact they're very close to the same size; height-width-...and firmness.
By no means are goodyear 26" tires a "tundra" tire....they're just simply another tire -that happens to cost a little bit more.

That said, 8:50's will take you many places....stay outta the tall grass, soft mud/sand, and really rough stuff.

For many years we had large, soft tires called "airstreaks", they were 30" with soft rubber. A true off-airport tire.

Now days the radial 31" Bush wheels are the very best off-airport tire every made for a cub. <- yup, thats a period.

As previously mentioned buying a nice set of tires may seem like a lot of money, however its the single best insurance you can buy....a great investment if you're doing off airport stuff.

Goodyears are grabby, but fine for pavement.

Bushwheels for off airport, there is no substitute.

Stick with 8:50s until then, or find some of the Alaska Tundra Tires.

The Tundra tires are more stiff, and put more stress on the gear/attachpoints, but will float through soft stuff and rollover some big stuff.

I don't know if it's possible to find used 31' tires but if you can I'm interested. carylfranks@yahoo.com
Thank you for replying to my post. I really appreciate it. Although this is my first time to use a forum, it wont be my last. I will support the advertisers and this fourum. Very good resource for a greenhorn super cub pilot.

Used?

Just go to Johnson Creek fly in and win a pair, or get up about 6:00 a.m. and take your pick :lol:

Just be quick about the takeoff :p

SteveE should not need big rubbers any longer, he was bragging about having recieved (recently) his man card! :drinking: So they would be non-essential.

cfranks, GOOD advice from the previous posters, whom I respect a LOT.

The cubscout cub is runnin' 26" goodyears, but it came that way. Good compromise, but wouldn't trade your 8.50's for 'em. Good advice about wathching the cheatgrass/clumpgrass.

But then I'll we winnin' the 31" BW's at Johnson Crick this year, so that will solve MY off-airport problem :D

Thanks. cubscout

Sorry Curt, Lee and I are gonna win them and put them on Cathy's Tri-Pacer for the flight home. :eek: We might need a nose wheel extension.

8.50's are a great choice for your first taildragger. Spend your money on gas for two hundred flight hours (for a green tailwheel pilot making good judgements, the tires will not be the limiting factor).

The important thing is for you to learn to fly the airplane.

You need flight time, not bigger tires.

Enjoy it!

HEY George,,

Yes,, I did receive my man card,,, unlike many of you guys... 8)

AND I do have a set of used 31's too... HA,, might be convinced to sell.

SteveE said:
HEY George,,

Yes,, I did receive my man card,,, unlike many of you guys... 8)

AND I do have a set of used 31's too... HA,, might be convinced to sell.

Might see you with baby bushwheels on the mains and fuzzy dice on the v-brace?

Wish I could go :cry: :cry:

Good News, I guess I made today's Juneau Empire working the seed truck yesturday. Tomorrow will spell the end of the crew for that job... a couple of easy planting days, and two days of fence install, then it is fishing and flying and hunting!

The 31" bushwheels are a barrel of fun, but have little life on pavement. I am taking mine off and putting goodyear 8.50-6.00 on. Just too expensive to stay with the Bushwheels for my hobby.

Steve Pierce said:
Sorry Curt, Lee and I are gonna win them and put them on Cathy's Tri-Pacer for the flight home. :eek: We might need a nose wheel extension.

Well a Tri-pacer won them but it wasn't yours

So I heard. Lee and I didn't make it but we are busting it so we can all arrive at New Holstein in our own airplanes and my Pacer will be on Bushwheels. :up

26'' ABW would be a good choice if you want a softer tire and are willing to live with the additional wear from paved runways. Cheaper than replacing 31's after you wear em out and will do well in most off field op's.

Aren't the 26"ers pretty expensive, too? Most folks I know who run big tires do so for the looks, since most ops are on either pavement or improved dirt strips. They make the airplane a lot harder to push around. Still, if it is a hobby, you get to have any size tire you want, so long as it is legal.

bob turner said:
. They make the airplane a lot harder to push around.

Over the years, I've had my cub on 8.50s, 26" Goodyears, 29" Bias ply Bushwheels and 31" radial Bushwheels and the 31's are by far the easiest to push around. It seems counter intuitive, but they seem to roll much easier than the others.

Tires

Welcome to our site and congrats getting your cub.

I have just gone through what you are looking into. I started out with 800's on my cub. This cub flew clear around the world in 1993 - 94 on the same tires and did just fine.
When I bought it, I had to put bigger tires on it of course for the cool look and bought some 26's for it. They have been used on two other planes and are still in very good shape. They last along time on pavement and helped on landings in grass and pavement.
Next I put on Bush Wheels 31's. They have a very soft feel while landing and you can push the plane around with no problem. I have not noticed that they slow the plane down. The biggest factor for me, they just might save me and the plane in a emergancy landing keeping the plane upright. As far as the cool factor, they speak for themselves.

The real proof was during our North West Super Cub flyin, I had to deliver 5 dozen eggs. Not one egg broke. Happy landings

Bill

bob turner said:
Aren't the 26"ers pretty expensive, too? Most folks I know who run big tires do so for the looks, since most ops are on either pavement or improved dirt strips. They make the airplane a lot harder to push around. Still, if it is a hobby, you get to have any size tire you want, so long as it is legal.

You need to change your class of people :wink:

Back