• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail light installation help needed

Mr. Ed

PNW
PA18 rudder, Aero LED Suntail nav/strobe.

My dilemma is: I’m trying to figure out the best way to set up the wiring through the rudder to the light. Hopefully the light will never fail but if it does I’d like to be able to replace it without removing the fabric. I could leave a service loop in the wiring that allows me to pull the light and a short section of wire back to a molex connector. I think that short loop and connector will press on the fabric from the inside and make a lump or wear a hole in the fabric. I can’t think of a different way to do it that allows replacement of the light.

If any of you folks have a better idea you’re willing to share, please do. Even better if you have photos.

Thanks

Maybe just leave some excess wire inside the rudder such that the light could be cut off and re-terminated if need be?

There is a smaller version of that molex connector. When I install a nav/strobe tail light assembly, I install a four pin connector at the light and then at the lower section of the rudder near the tail post.

Web

certified or experimental, a wise man suggested I just use the wing rear position lights and forget the tail.

certified or experimental, a wise man suggested I just use the wing rear position lights and forget the tail.

I've seen this and strongly disagree. These lights were designed for use on 'tailless' aircraft (Varieze, etc) and can leave a blind spot, dead astern, on conventional types. Even the old CAMs/CARs call for a tail nav.

Web

POSITION LIGHTS
§ 3.700 Type. If position lights are installed, they shall be of a type certificated in accordance with Part 15 of this chapter, or shall comply with the pertinent provisions of that part.

§ 3.701 Forward position light installation. Forward position lights shall be so installed that, with the airplane in normal flying position, the red light is displayed on the left side and the green light on the right side, each showing unbroken light between two vertical planes the dihedral angle of which is 100 degrees when measured to the left and right, respectively, of the airplane from dead ahead. The lights shall be spaced laterally as far apart as practicable.

§ 3.702 Rear position light installation. The rear position light shall be mounted as far aft as practicable and so installed that unbroken light is directed symmetrically aft in such a manner that the axis of the maximum cone of illumination is parallel to the flight path. In addition, the intersection of the two planes forming dihedral angle A given in Part 15 of this chapter shall be vertical.

iu
f0040-02.jpg

POSITION LIGHTS
§ 3.700 . . . they shall be of a type certificated in accordance with Part 15 of this chapter, or shall comply with the pertinent provisions of that part.

Remember this when 'some guy' says you need certified lights on your CAR 3 aircraft.

Web

Back