• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Steve's Gascolator

I have never had an issue with the cotter pin. Even new the original POS gascolator is a thorn in my side. Safety wired and bent the pigtail and the POS started leaking. :evil:
IMG_20181230_125804.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181230_125804.jpg
    IMG_20181230_125804.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 432
A mechanic buddy of mine just got through installing a Steve's gascolator on a Champ,
I was talking about the PITA of replacing the cotter key and he suggested some long offset hemostats.

6bec414c2bb0352dc59677bcd4ef088e.jpg

This is what I use for the hard to reach ones...

A good percentage of the installations are easy to get too though... Cessna 180, early 182 and 206 are the main ones off the top of my head that are a little harder to do..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased a SA gascolator to replace the original on my PA-12 rebuild.
I have seen some installing a stand-off to space the original bracket away from the firewall to give room for the fuel line to come thru the firewall and connect to the gascolator.
Pros/Cons to this? I think it would allow for a more sealed/cleaner firewall and easier to preflight that connection.
Also, is 3/8” aluminum standard for the fuel line from the selector to the gascolator or should it best be a flexible line? This airplane has the Cub Crafter fuel selector STC.

Those might be great for a Cub installation,
but for a C180 installation IMHO not so much.
Too hard to reach up in there & monkey with it.
I bought a pair of medical hemostats specifically for reaching up & removing
& especially reinstalling the cotter pin in my Steves gascolator.
Maybe not according to Hoyle but I leave it unbent,
it's not about to migrate upward & come out unless I was to pull some sustained negative-g flight.
In turbulence.

Back