• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Square wing tips and flaperons on PA18A

Ington6

Hi guys.
Im new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me out. I’m looking into buying an PA 18A experimental that was rebuilt ten years ago with an o320. It has square wing tips and flaperons but I have been having a hard time finding information on this setup. From what I can gather, any wing extension also needs extended ailerons. Or are the square tips stock on the “A” so there for it isn’t like an extended wing? And also since it is experimental and there isn’t a specific stc and kit behind the flaperons, I was hoping someone could help me shed some light on this setup. Pro and cons of all. I’m a 182 driver and not well versed in the Cub world but I’m excited to learn. Thank you!

No STC are required in the EX world but they are a good engineering reference for changes.
Generally it is the flaps that get extended with the ailerons being moved outboard.

Cool, I am somewhat active with EAA Ch 1375 down south of you and am Pres of 968 at KRUT. My build has been slowed by another time eating project. I need to get back to it.

I am building them in my plane and have built two EX planes with them in the past with very good results. But no direct hands on with a Cub.

Educate me. What are the pros and cons of flaperons? I’ve never flown them and have never seen them on a plane that weighed more than about 750#.

Back