• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spin Practice

slowmover said:
I go out and play with stalls and I don't even get a clean break in my cub. Usually what I get is just a nose-high mush. Am I not going far enough into the stall? Recovering too quickly? Or is this normal stall behavior for a Super Cub with a stock wing and no VGs?

Power off, no flaps, pull the stick back faster. It will break harder.

The story I've gotten from others in the Air Show business about Art, goes like this:

He had a chase plane with him, but for what reasons I don't know. Art radioed that he was going to do one or two more spins and then head back home. So the chace plane turned towards land and started heading back. Then Art radioed "I think I've got a problem", couple seconds later "I've got a problem here." The chase plane immediately turned around but couldn't spot Art, or any wreckage.

It's really a shame what ever happened, but I have a hard time accepting Pilot Error. I wish I could have seen him in person though!

nkh

This is a fascinating thread. I have only done one inverted spin - lost my nerve and recovered right side up. It was in a Decathlon, and I'd be hard pressed to remember which rudder I used. Nice to know that the aircraft has some problem in that area.

As I recall the contest sequence, one got points for straight lines - so out of my 3/4 spin I would draw a line straight down. If I had read this thread first, I might not have gotten all those points. I think I'll take Mike's advice, and be careful. One turn is plenty.

This site is worth its weight in gold. Are there any others as good?

spins

Spun my Champ twice last year and behaved normal. This year I spun it once and it scared the crap out of me. It appeared more vertical and really fast. Seems to be the accelerated spin from me relaxing the back pressure. What amazes me is the Champ spins about the same rate as the Pitts in the vidios. I would have thought the Pitts much quicker. Really good information here.
Ron

Yard Dart
I have never spun anything with floats on but I think it might recover a bit slower than with wheels. I know that floats changes the slip characteristics.

Spins can be interesting animals. Though predictable (when you know your aircraft) they are affected by w&b, control deflection, trim, and rigging.

Agreed, most aircraft take a turn or two to stabilize the turn rate. Relaxing back pressure can increase the turn rate. Aileron deflection also affects rotational rate. Opp aileron slows it some, into the spin increases it.

You can take the low dollar route to spin education by visiting a RC aircraft club. Find a well versed acro pilot and ask for a spin demo. If you find the right pilot he can talk you through his performance while demonstrating the effects of various control input changes as he transitions from upright, inverted, rudder reversals, knife edge (full aileron & opposite rudder), flat spins. Many on the same vertical descent. The relaxed elevator input technique can be demonstrated with snaps also.

Dennis Blankenbaker said:
Yard Dart
I have never spun anything with floats on but I think it might recover a bit slower than with wheels. I know that floats changes the slip characteristics.

The extra weight and arm may be more resistant to change once stabilized.

My only experience spinning a float plane was an radio controlled version. After a few rotations it went flat on us and wouldn't recover. We tried opposite rudder rudder full power, no power, and about every combination of rudder/elevator/aileron/power we could think of. We had plenty of time to try everything. The aircraft popped back up to the surface after the big splash and drifted downwind to the shoreline with only a cracked float.

Of course this was a non certified experimental model aircraft, but our over-the-camp-fire NTSoB report indicated modifying this aircraft for floats needed a no spin restriction. The floats possibly blanked out tail airflow in the early spin then the extra rotating mass overcame the aircraft's relatively small flight controls.

I seem to recall that I saw a spin chute on a 172XP being certified on Wipes or Edos at Jack Brown's in '77. Even if that combination was not spin tested the precaution was a good idea.

Back