• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Challenger Reusable Spin On Oil Filter

Here is the screen material.
attachment.php

Here is the bypass.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20160121_095425.jpg
    20160121_095425.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 2,362
  • 20160121_095441.jpg
    20160121_095441.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 2,312
  • 20160121_095451.jpg
    20160121_095451.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 2,324
Last edited:
Pierce, to give us a size comparison could you take a picture of the filter screen along side of a original lycoming screen? And what does it weigh?

Last edited:
For me and other guys like me the best way to get rid of the icky stuff in oil is to change the oil. My comment about preferring disposable filters comes from 100% of my oil changes happening outdoors in the weather. My facilities are limited to a bag of tools and a tailgate on the pickup. Dust, rain, snow, wind, bugs... let alone the years bobbing on floats. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Good old Champions fill the bill. Take it home and cut it open in the garage with a cold one going. To each their own. Its all good. What I wish is that somebody would come up with a safety wire eliminator. That's something I'd buy!

For me and other guys like me the best way to get rid of the icky stuff in oil is to change the oil. My comment about preferring disposable filters comes from 100% of my oil changes happening outdoors in the weather. My facilities are limited to a bag of tools and a tailgate on the pickup. Dust, rain, snow, wind, bugs... let alone the years bobbing on floats. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am. Good old Champions fill the bill. Take it home and cut it open in the garage with a cold one going. To each their own. Its all good. What I wish is that somebody would come up with a safety wire eliminator. That's something I'd buy!

Thread drift.

http://www.dmctools.com/Products/safe-t-cable.html

I've used these cable kits in the past and definitely recommend them if you don't want to twist wire. Spendy, but they do their job very well.

Web

Last edited by a moderator:
Your'e supposed to change all the o rings in it everytime, so you have to factor that into the cost. The earlier version had at least two orings.

The ICA does not say the quad ring needs replacing every time. There was this on the Aircraft Spruce website:
bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar2.jpg

by Ed Larkin
04/01/2014

Good solid unit. Decreased indicated oil temp about 1 oil temp gauge needle width in summer. Easy to disassemble and clean.

Only negative: You MUST change the rubber seal each oil change - otherwise it will leak (personal experience).

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

by Mike Olson
08/02/2015

I've had this filter on my hot rod 0375 for 5 years never have I had to change the gasket at filter cleaning !!
I change oil every 25-30 hrs and clean the filter .i fly about 400 hrs a year .

I make a mess no matter what I do...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Ever have one of those days where you just want to turn in your A&P and go home? Seems like it's always when you're doing something you've done a thousand times before. Like the time I went to change the front tire on a 172, pulled the wrong bolt while removing the wheel pant, and blew the bottom out of the nose strut. Or the day it took me four hours to do a simple oil change on a 172. Maybe I just need to stay away from 172s... [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My worst was pulling the oil by-pass valve out of the R2800 on a Corsair without draining the oil tank. Got about 15 gallons of oil all over me and the floor.

The spring acts as the by-pass valve. If the oil filter element becomes clogged the oil pressure pushes the filter element down and by-passes the filter.

Steve
Got mine from the factory only 150.00 for experimental spin on
Nice looking unit
Thanks for the post
Anyone else wants one Ill give you their part number

Gerald
My engine has a spin on adapter with 3/4-16 thread their part number is S15
The filter has holes predrilled for safety wire
If you have any question folks there are glad to help
Gary

Back