• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Small Continental Engine Mount Bushings

fly_cubs

Chapel Hill, NC
Anyone know of a better source for engine mount bushings for a small continental (mine's a C-85)?

I've had two sets of these in the last 150 hours from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/graphics/22387.jpg

It seems if you look at them wrong before you take them out of the bag they will crack. I'm not over tightening them and putting a small amount of Dow DC4 on the bolts before I slide them through. We've also tried a set on other airplanes without the DC4 and it cracks all the same.

Suggestions or just live with the cracks?

Thanks!

I got some in a major overhaul gasket kit from Fresno Airparts and also got some from Univair.
Big difference in the hardness,
The Fresno ones are rock hard.
Dave

Rubber does not last as long now as it used to. Last time I bought these things they had gotten very expensive as well.

Just enough to buldge the rubber a bit- can't remember off the top of my head but I want to say 60-80 inch pounds- I'll check tonight.

Tim, that sounds right. I think i went with 80 inch pounds. I got mine from chief years ago and i looked at mine today and i dont see any cracks. Probably is different grades of them, i dont know?

The cracking seems to be the norm these days. 60-80 in/lbs. is correct for the -8,-12 and -16 models. I have removed some of the cracked bushings and found nothing wrong in the area actually dampening the vibration.

Thanks for all of the input- I ordered a set from Chief ($4 each instead or $2 each from Spruce)....hopefully they will be better. I'm going to go ahead and change them out since I already have the exhaust off for some other maintenance- much easier to do. If they crack, I won't worry about it.

And Glenn.....practice what I do....don't listen to a word Amy says (although I find it is often hazardous to my health) :smile:

Back