• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Slop in front lift strut - fuselage fitting

JimC

The J-3 has some play in the right front lift strut between the lower fork and the fuselage bracket. I've not looked at it myself yet, but suspect one of the following, a worn fork, a worn bolt, or elongation of the hole in the fuselage bracket (probably the latter, or a combination of the last two). What is the standard 'fix' for this? Needless to say, the plane's on the ground till we get this sorted out....

The likely fix seems to me to be reaming the elongated hole out and installing a larger bolt and fork, but I just said considerably more than I know. All advice welcome -- short of swapping the -3 for an -18 :)

The fuselage bracket usually has a bushing in it. We just re-bush the bracket.
If found early enough, have never seen wear on the fork. Just re-bush and put in a new bolt. Ck the fork though.

Thanks, John. Good thread. We'll be sure to check for an oversized hole in the fitting. I ordered 10 bushings to make sure I could pick an oversized one if need be :)

Back