• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Selling an airplane

pak

Alaska/NE Washington
I see quite a bit of information about purchasing a cub. Recently there have been a few for sale. What are the issues with regard to a sale, from the seller's point of view? What are the liabilities. Do you let a buyer fly the plane? How does one protect themselves? Inquiring minds want to know. pak

Check your insurance to see if any one with 10 hrs or more can fly the plane otherwise don't let him in the plane without some qualified pilot there to protect your investment

I had one prospective buyer decline to go up with me but insist on going up with his flight instructor. I told him he could only after buying the aircraft. I also agreed to buy the aircraft back at the same price if he didn't like it as long as he didn't break it.
His aircraft his liability. Also drops out a lot of tire kickers.

Another item to note is that Cashiers Checks or Bank Money Orders can no longer be considered as money in the bank. They are subject to forgeries and even stop payments. Unless you are comfortable with the purchaser a wire transfer or use of an escrow service is the only sure thing.

Having been involved in a nasty lawsuit filed by a couple of guys after buying a 1953 Cessna 180 I would say use the sellers contract that is on the AOPA website. These guys filed suit because a mechanic said the engine was out of a ground power unit. Took several years before the previous owner got me involved. I proved that the engine was an O-470-A but there was no 337 for later style rudder pedals, yokes and no burn test on leather interior. The previous owner spent a fortune on legal expences, ended up buying the airplane back for what he sold it for four years previous. Only problem was it sat all that time and the cam and lifters were junk. These guys said they knew 180s and didn't need a prepurchase then they pull something like this. It took all I had to sit across the table from them listening to their sniveling. Someone should have slapped them silly. my advice, get a sellers contract. :bad-words:

Back