• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Prebuys in general

bob turner

I don't sell many airplanes - I do not have an ounce of salesman blood.

However, I have a firm rule: If you want to do a pre-buy inspection, do not expect me to fly the airplane to your place at my expense. In fact, I am prejudiced against going to the purchaser for the prebuy at any body's expense - he or she can do it here.

That's just me - it started when a guy wanted me to take the old Stinson a thousand miles at my expense just so he could figure out if he really wanted it. I did one trip for a friend, but insisted on a written guarantee that the airplane would be airworthy when the inspection was complete, and not at my expense.

I hear ya Bob. I only did it once (350 miles) and had the guys mechanic tear parts off the airplane.. claim there was issues and try to beat the price down based on that and leave the airplane torn apart so I couldn't get back home.

The whole issue fell into their lap though when said mechanic claimed the oil pump AD needed to be complied with (while the mag lay off to one side). I let him carry on for a while and then asked if he wanted to call Transport Canada or should I. He asked why and I told him that if he reviewed the engine logs a few pages back HE signed a couple years previous that he had performed the oil pump AD on this engine/airplane.

I got what I was asking and they found a guy in an apache to fly me home just before dark.

You want to tear into the plane?

Ok, put a deposit, (10% is good) down and your mechanic can check it out.

All my expenses come out of the deposit if you do not buy the bird. Travel is extra.

Use a purchase agreement. Spell out the terms and arrangements as clear as a bluebird day. Agree with the above. Deposit in hand before airplane leaves your parking spot. All travel expenses to and from pre-buy are taken out of deposit if sale doesn't close, per agreement. If sale does go through successfully I usually absorb the travel costs as a friendly gesture. But if it ends up being like pulling teeth I won't hesitate to tack on the additional cost, just depends on the deal and the fella on the other side. Assholes get an asshole, nice guys get a nice guy. Thats how I roll...

Back