• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 with dynafocal engine mount

PA12Project

Ludwigsburg/Germany
Hi everybody!

We are four Germans and owner of a PA12 S/N2243 built in 47. The aircraft is disassembled and we would like to rebuilt it. So far so good. We have all parts except the engine and the propeller.
The PA12 has been fitted with an O-320 A2A and A2B which has the conical mount. We found out that it is much easier to find an O-320 with dynafocal mount.
Do you know if the PA12 can be fitted with such an engine? Is someone holding an STC for such a conversion and is someone selling dynafocal engine mounts for the PA12?
Maybe you could help us in this matter!
We are looking forward to your answer.
Kind regards
PA12 Project

Wag Aero has an FAA/PMA'd O-320 swing out dynafocal mount for the PA-12/14. Go down the "Categories" search list to "engine mounts and accessories". The PA-12/14 mount is on page #2. Take care. Crash

http://store.wagaero.com/

which mount is better

Crash - i use a 135 pa-12 for float & ski training and rental and may be needing another engine in a year or two. which would you recomend - conical or dynafocal and a 320 in 150 or 160 hp. i have edo 2000's but need to be legal on the paper work end for commercial ops. the 290-d2 does a great job now, but thinking of a 320 in the future. i had 5 super cubs, 1 pa-11, 2 champs and like the pa-12 the best as i am 6-4". any info on engine conversions would be appreciated

Given the choice, I would only mess with a Dynafocal mount on an O-360. The O-320 is smooth enough you don't need the extra weight and cowl area a Dynafocal mount takes up. The best mount for a PA-12/14 with an O-320 is Crosswinds STOL swing out conical mount in my opinion. Basically a PA-18 FWF.

I like the 160 hp over the 150hp O-320. More power, smoother, turns a higher pitch prop (faster), burns less gas.

The Germans were asking about the DynafocalPA-12 mount out of need since they could get a Dynafocal O-320 easier / cheaper.

Crash

I have one on my PA-14 but have not take the Smart level to it to see. I would guess it is about the same as a stock PA-18 just looking at it. Charlie Center designed it to be just like a PA-18 mount, only wider at the attach points. Crash

I have an 0-320 dynafocal setup on my PA-12 and it has been a great way to go. There is no airframe vibration to rattle stuff loose and this smoothness usually draws an unsolicited comment from any pilot riding with me for the first time. I used the Nelson Conversion STC. I'm sorry but I don't have a stc number as my AI has my paperwork right now. It uses a long mount that incorporates a standard cowling. Only drawback to that was I couldn't put my battery forward without being out of CG most forward envelope.

Back