• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 in for pre-buy inspection (long)

JMBreitinger

Minneapolis, MN
I am in the process of buying my first rag & tube airplane, a 1947 PA-12.

My partner and I currently operate a turbo Mooney that we use both in our business and for fun. In the last few years, we have each had multiple opportunities to fly a variety of rag & tube airplanes, including Citabrias, two Super Cubs, a Pitts S2C and a Decathlon. We got started flying these planes when we sought advanced training on spin recovery and emergency maneuver training. That led to ski flying. It has been a slippery slope. Both of us have decided that, if we had one hour left to fly, it would be in one of these birds. With that said, neither of us has unlimited resources or the time to fly as much as any healthy person would like to.

A few weeks ago, our neighbor at the airport told us that he was selling his hangar and his three airplanes. We went over to look at the hangar and ended up agreeing to buy one of the planes. The plane is a 1947 Super Cruiser. It appears to be in perfect condition and has a zero-time 115 hp engine. Everything is pretty much stock except that it has Cleveland wheels and brakes, PA-18 main gear and air intake. He had the airplane restored from the ground up three years ago, then got prostate cancer and lost his medical. The covering, paint and interior are perfect. The seller is a guy we know, who is a very good guy with substantial resources and who generally does things in a first-class manner.

The logs are complete. The airframe has 2,500 hours on it and no damage history.

We are having a pre-purchase and annual inspection done next week by our mechanic. We will discuss the restoration job with the shop that did it. My biggest concern is that the airplane has not flown since three years ago when the restoration was completed. I am confident that we will get a good assessment of the condition and airworthiness of the plane.

I would appreciate the opportunity to hear from those with experience with these planes. We will have a third partner, a newly licensed 100-hour private pilot.

We hope to use this airplane to get our feet wet with this type of flying. There will be three of us flying the plane. Two of us have cabins 140 miles away with good grass strips nearby. We would like to put the airplane on wheel skis in the winter.

In addition to wanting to learn about these planes generally, I have a couple of specific questions:

1. We are paying $40,000. Does this seem fair? I can't find any current comps.

2. The plane only has one lap belt in the back. Should it have two? There are no shoulder harnesses. Is there an STC that would allow us to add these?

3. There are a few things that I would like to have; flaps, a sky light, 8.50 tires... Is there a good list of the available STCs and does it make sense to modify an airplane like this? Are there any must-read resources on these planes?

4. Is there a wheel ski option for this airplane? We have a heated hangar at a towered airport and want to keep it inside at night.

5. Is the 115 hp engine going to be sufficient for our use, which is basically boring holes in the sky?

6. How do you carry anything in this plane? I saw several at Oshkosh this week with the extended baggage mod but hear consistently that it makes no sense to do this unless the covering is already off of the airplane.

Thanks in advance for any insights. Sorry my first post is so long.

JMBreitinger,

I just got back to the site, and saw your post? Sounds like the 12 is in good shape, but is 'basically a stock" bird. Price sounds fair, but be assured that is is like comparing a J3 to a Supercub, The PA12 as originally configured is a 'dog' for take off performance. If you want to just puddle jump around, build time in a Tail dragger it will likely serve your well. there are a lot of STC's (not nearly as many as for a SC) most of them are performance mods and are rarely done without completely rebuilding the plane. If the one your are buying is "rust" free you are finding a 'rare' PA12?

I know the PA12 well and have a highly modified one, you can spend a lot of money and never get it back if you start with a "nearly new" one and start modifing it? Sounds like you might have a plane, if purchased 'righ' would best serve you for a while, (or until one of the partners wreck it).

I will be out of town until the 9th , after that if you want to talk more detail as to what to look for give me a PM and I will give you a number to get a hold of me?

Tim

John,
40K is fair for what you described, but be careful with the list of mods you already have. To get extended baggage, flaps, skylight, etc., you may be better off just buying an already modified 60K plane. If you like the 115hp stock 12, fly it and enjoy it. If you want more hp, shorter take-offs, slower landings.....you'll spend alot more money taking your 40K plane and modifying it than you'd spend just buying a 12 with the mods done.
SB

Thanks for the input. Our objective for this airplane is to have fun and build time and experience. Both of my partners are long-time partners. We fly together a lot and have compatible experience and philosophy.

My biggest issues will be whether or not we can put skis on this bird and fly it safely in and out of the rough strips that we want to use. Both strips are well over 2,000 feet. One is grass, but is in one of the sand counties in WI where grass doesn't grow so good so it is marginal at best for my Mooney, which only has 2" of clearance. The other is an old gravel pit. These are not places that require max Super Cub performance.

That said we would like to move toward a more capable airplane down the road. We may look for a project airplane. We have a great space to work on one and all of us like to build stuff.

pa 12 purchase

For value I learned a little system in college called the backdoor approach.
Add up every thing that was done to the airplane (make a list) down to the overhauled generator. Then see if you could by a core and arrive at the same or better value. Not likely. The quality of the rehab is very important and there is much to look at. The 337 on the restoration should be long and tell you alot. What does the airplane weigh? Truly how original is the aircraft and do you care? Is the airplane rigged and was done by someone who knows. I test flew one in south Carolina and thought it was the one right up until I flew it, if you let go of the stick it went into a 45 degree left bank spiril. Fly it for sure Have somebody who owns one fly it for you. Dont forget basic purchasing common sense. Feel free to call me if you want to talk supercruisers. 727.572.0688

jeff

Thanks for the input. I'll be in touch next week after I get a chance to go throught the logs and get our mechanic's initial input.

John
Sounds like you found a gem. 40 is top dollar for a stock 12 but sounds like this is a top of the line 12. Sounds like too nice an airplane to modify. The 1 lap belt is standard for the rear seat. It has to be certified at a higher strength (3500 lb?) than a standard belt. I don't believe shoulder harness installation requires an STC or field approval. They can be installed as a "minor modification" by a licensed mech. Might be tough to install if the X brace hasn't been installed in the roof. If you are going on skis or rough fields you should put on the Dodge safety cables. The 18 gear is a definite plus for this. The 12 will handle any field your Mooney will and more.
85 Mike

John,
You can put the stock 12 on skis. I assume it still has 12 gear, so the cables aren't applicable. Stock gear will work fine until you go to floats, then it's a pain. With 115 horse you'll want to stay light, so be careful what skis, particularly wheel-skis, you choose. Expect a performance inpact. Straight skis are better performers if you can manage them. Maybe ski dollies? Somewhere on this site that subject was discussed. Wheels you can attach to straight skis to push it in and out of the hangar.
If it doesn't fly hands-off, it should be easy to adjust the rigging to get it right.
SB

JMB

Here are my thoughts on your questions:
1. $40 K is certainly in the range of PA-12 prices, probably on the very high end of "stock" 12's, but if it's really as nice as advertised it might be worth it. Consider discussing the value with your insurance company to see if they would be willing to cover it for that. A friend just brought his highly modified PA-12 back to flying condition and his insurance company didn't want to cover it for more than $30K (even with 150 hp and lots of mods) because the "economy is bad" and plane prices are down.
2. Well covered by others above.
3. If you send me a PM with your e-mail address I'll send you an excel spreadsheet with every PA-12 approved STC. If you're going with 115 hp, you probably don't need flaps, you'll land shorter than you'll take off. 8.50's are an easy change, but as mentioned above the others are a lot easier if you're recovering, and with only three years on the fabric, you'd probably be better off finding a modified PA-12 than modifying this one.
4. I have Federal C-2200 wheel skis mounted on mine, by field approval. They are designed for 8.00 tires. They are 87+ extra pounds on top of the wheel only weight. Without the gross weight increase mine became a one person, full fuel plane.
5. I've never flown a 115 PA-12, but I know my old tired 135 hp got it around just fine while it was alive, and a 115 hp Citabria was always a joy.
6. Not sure there's an easy solution for this one. External baggage (e.g. Airglas) might be a possibility, another field approval if you can get it.

You didn't give a number to the engine question, but here's what I did, I tried to figure out how many years use I would have to get out of the engine in order for the plane to be a good economic choice and then discuss the likelihood of the engine lasting that long with my A&P. Mine sat for 6 years prior to purchase, and it lasted three years.

Kenneth

Some other things to look for:

Look at the gear. If it has the original inner straps instead of the streamlined tube, look closely. They have a tendancy to rust out and break down by the axle.

Look at the tubing around the door frame. That is a problem area for rust.

You don't really have any way to, but you will want to look at the aileron spars when you recover. There is a steel doubler mounted to the spar- that is badly corroded more often than not.

If it has the original fuel tanks, they will be a problem at some point.

I am just finishing a complete rebuild of a 12 from almost nothing. It has been a massive and expensive project spanning 6 years at this point. We went with some mods like 150hp, extended baggage, flaps, 18 tail, and clevelands.

Good luck.

Mike J.

Back