• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 1947 vintage wheel brakes. Anybody want 'em? How much are they worth?

Andy505

FRIEND
Hello there.

I had the (original) brakes on my PA-12 replaced with Cleveland brakes just the other month. I'm now looking to find a good home for the old braking system. Assuming the brakes are in good shape, how much do you think they're worth?

Cheers.

They are worth nothing. But if you mail them to me, I will find them a good home.

My AME snapped 'em up for $400.

I found this great homebuilder afterwards who's a big fan of the old brake systems. He knows he can't nose over with them!

You got a good price. CC used to sell them for $150. And do not fool yourself - a Hayes brake can put you on your nose in a heartbeat. Do not try this, but at very low speeds you can lock both brakes and destroy a prop before you even realize what has happened.

The Grove brake system has made the 8:00x4 wheels a viable setup, enabling the Cub nuts among us to have authentic looking airplanes with modern brakes at a reasonable price. Grove has STC disc brakes, and is working on PMA master cylinders and wheels that bolt together. The big downer is the price of tires and tubes, but Desser has a recap program that is quite good, at about $110 per tire.

Opinion.

Back