• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Alaska Cub is IN THE AIR!!!!!

willirw

Alaska

I received my temporary airworthiness certificate on May the 12, the first flight was on May 17. I now have 5.8 hours on the engine and she is running great, first oil change today. She's a Smith Cub fuselage that I modified for L-21 glass. The wings are from Back Country Cub. Carbon fiber cowling, 6 inch gear with 31 inch ABW. The brakes are triple pucks from Matco and I am very impressed with them. Empty weight came in at 1296, heavier than I wanted, but with a 2300 lbs gross wt I am very pleased. The learning curve for the Sky View system has been steep for me, but I have 35 more hours of flying in circles to master it.The engine is an 0-375 with a Whirl Wind 200 G propeller. Very smooth combination. I used the Stewart process and am very pleased with the results. She flies hands free and will climb like a home sick angel. It took me almost two years to the date to finish her and 1600 hrs. Many friends asked me why I was building an airplane and I told them because I can. Isn't America great.

P5200099.JPGP5200100.JPGP5210102.JPG

Attachments

• P5200099.JPG
    P5200099.JPG
    587.5 KB · Views: 399
  • P5200100.JPG
    P5200100.JPG
    563.6 KB · Views: 342
  • P5210102.JPG
    P5210102.JPG
    535.4 KB · Views: 409
Looks fantastic! Enjoy.

I notice that there is a 5 mph difference between the indicated airspeed and the Dynon airspeed. Do these two have the same pitot/static source? Or does the Dynon make some temperature calculations?

Beautiful work. Nothing beats the first flight of an airplane you built yourself. Congratulations.

Congratulations! Man that is one nice looking Cub!

Question, do you have 0-degree thrust? Looks a bit down thrust but might be illusion. Also, which spinner did you use?

Enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Stock mount. I decided to leave it pretty much stock no VG's either. I figured I would fly it for a while before I put any mods on it. I have six hours on it now and love the way it flys.

Ok, now I am confused, what's the difference between companies and props (besides shape)?

Willirw:

Do you have pictures of the contruction process? Very good work. I would love to have seen her in the shop!

--8GCBC

Back