• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mild BackCountry in Idaho - Fishing

djonesutah

We are looking for some advice on which back country strips to fly into near Johnson Creek. One of us has a Husky A1-B w/26" Goodyears. My plane is a Wag Aero C-85/O-200. The wag can get in and out of tighter spots than the Husky, but the pilot can't. I only have around 275 hours, and only 175 in a TD. The Husky pilot maybe has 1000 hours, but only a few hundred in the last 10 years and that is his only TD time. A good pilot, better than me, but neither of us should be trying to get into anything too technical.

We are flying in to Johnson Creek and plan to spend two nights there. We'd like to fly into some nearby remote strips and fish. Ideally, some where we won't run into other people that have driven in. I can leave the Wag parked a JC and take the back seat in the Husky, but I'd rather not... The Husky pilot is 77, but a pretty capable hiker considering. We can hike up and down and reasonable distances.

Does anyone have some suggestions for a couple of strips. We have the Back Country Guide that tells us the details of the strips. Any advice on strips near streams that the planes/pilots can handle would be appreciated.

Do you have the Fly Idaho book. There are some good strips all around and they are pretty detailed in the book. Have fun, I wish I was there.

You might consider an alternative:

1) drive to McCall and get some backcountry instruction.

2) air taxi into some strips for fishing and hiking.

Fishing

HI there, I would recommend stopping in McCall and getting about 2-3 hrs of dual in the mtns. This type of dual will give you some tools that will help you operate safely in this area. Steep stabilized approach, emergency canyon turns, side hill, dog legs and abort point aviation ideas.
But with that being said, I know there are fish near Indian Creek airstrip, walk to the confluence of the Middle Fork and Indian Ck. they have been hitting right there and upstream on Indian Creek.
I hope you will consider getting some dual, fly safe and I’ll be back from Alaska on Tuesday with my BIG fish!! :D
Lori MacNichol

Lori

Do any steelhead come up Big Creek around Dewey Moore... Nothing is said in the regs about it..

Back