• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Metal wing tip bow

Tx
Hey guys,
Just un covered a set of metal spar j3 wings for recover. They were sitting next to the cub in a barn for 20 years after rebuild and the mice got into it. Anyways, it has metal tip bows. Anyone ever seen that before? Seems like for a little weight they would stand up better, especially sense this is going on floats and the wings would get run through the trees and docks etc.

Thanks
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus 1. They are ash. Try to avoid holes in them, at least at the end of the spars. Metal will transmit those hangar door blows to the parts you want to not be stressed.

Count me in the camp that appreciates the forgiving nature of wood. Years ago I put a pretty substantial dent in mine after running it into the hangar, but was able to pop it back out by maneuvering a bent piece of threaded rod through the inspection holes.

The ash tip bows will bend and flex where the metal will kink. Also less damage to the underlying structure when something is hit hard and the wood breaks.

A local smacked his wood tip bow this fall. Rolled the plane sideways enough on 31" tires to score the inside of one tire with the brake bleeder valve. Wing apparently survived with some rib and bow deformation and fabric cuts at the tip. Like the old Timex watch ad it took a licking and kept on ticking.

Gary

My IA was astonished to find electrical conduit used for mine. Replaced with wood for all the reasons listed above.

Back