• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Maine to Alaska in 9 Days on Straight Floats!

glassjet

Wasilla, AK
Finally made it home last night. It took 9 days which included 46 hours of flight time. My son and I made the trip in a 1979 7GCBC on straight floats. It was cruising at about 90 mph... We had stops in Long Lake NY, Gananoque Ontario, Parry Sound, Salt Ste Marie - back into Michigan - Munising Michigan, Deluth Minnesota, Baudette Minnesota - Back into Canada - Pine Dock on Lake Winnipeg, The Pas, La Ronge, Fort McMurray, High Level, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Whitehorse, Northway, Wasilla..... Used a fair amount of autogas.... 5 gallon cans were a must... fuel prices ranged from 3.75 a gallon to 10.00 a gallon... It was a great trip.... Way too much thunderstorm activity which slowed us down considerably... We met some great people and had a very good time. Thanks to all of you that helped us out so much..

Sounds like a great journey - I'll bet your son will remember it forever - a lucky boy he is!

glassjet Would love to hear about it some time. Please set down and record you experiences and share this adventure with us all.

I realize this thread was started in July, but I was wondering if the story about it was ever posted here.

Man, that must have be a dream of a trip.

How'd you get fuel on those lakes? Did they all have marinas or did you need to hike or arrange for transportation to get fuel.

Must have been an amazing trip.

John, It looks like you are using the same avatar as TJ. You might not want to be mistaken for a crusty old Alaskan. :lol:

Fuel stops were stressful.... Stopped at alot of marinas.... we made several fuel stops where we would see a gas station close to a lake and drop in and buy fuel... It was alot of fun... Don't want to do it again though... Biggest pain all the way up was thunderstorms.... They were in our road from Maine to Sheep Mountain.... The trip on wheels is considerably easier.... Let me know if you are going to do a similar trip and I'll forward my flight plan.... Corey

Back