• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

looking to buy a supercub,what should I look for?

camshaw

garden grove california
Found a supercub thats been owned by the same guy for 40 something years,stored always inside and in a dry climate. What should I be looking for in the direction of problem areas/excessive wear etc...? I am new to the cub arena and am probably going to get a heck of a deal on it but I just want to make sure I am educated on what to examine when I go see it...Any help would be appreciated...thanks...

Date of last annual, expertise and reputation of person doing the last annual, and location of reputable super cub mechanic ( that won't go behind your back and buy it out from under you) are the best things you could look for.
then give the guy a deposit and tell him you'll take it (which you are going to do anyway) if your mechanic doesn't find anything real serious, like --
1. fabric is shot and needs recover
2. engine screen is full of metal
3. aircraft is crooked as a pretzel and flies like wooster
4. aircraft is full of corrosion.

Get someone who knows those cubs inside out to go with you. While a checklist is a great way to start, there is no substitute for experience.

quick once over:

metal in screen, (might just run it up before you pull it)

Corosion in tail

peeling dope, loose fabric, cracking in dope

all pices there

square: measure distance from tail to alieron bay, side vs side, lift strut fork adjustment, are they matching (how many threads showing side vs side), landing gear axle to fwd strut wing attach point,

surface rust on tubes,

cracks around gear attach point if you can see

paperwork on mods

smooth finish on trailing edge of elevators, (gets rough with rust)

Back