• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Long passenger step

C

conch

Has anyone had any experience with the long passenger step on a land plane with the landing gear struts covered?

What do you mean by passenger step, in front of the struts or behind? One that the pilot also uses or passenger only? Put (long step) in the search box. Seen some gear covered up to the point of the step.

The step is attached to the landing gear struts a couple of inches down from the top and can be used by the pilot or passenger.

I put one of these on my airplane when the Firman pod was installed. The original loopy step interferes with the side door on the pod, so it's recommended to replace the original step with the long step. I think it was designed for seaplanes, but works well on wheel planes with a pod.

I had to cut a little bit of fabric on the rear gear leg to get the attachments on, and used the same attach point on the front gear leg as the old fuel step (the long step replaced the fuel step, too).

Atlee-Dodge. Comes complete with attachments and directions. Nice and solid.

Anne.

conch,

Atlee's long step is designed to attach to Cub gear using clamps that are supplied with the STC'd step. It is not applicable to float rigging, but lots of float rigging incorporates similar looking steps. The step is great to get a foothold to access the aft cabin. I can't imagine my plane without one. I know the attachment to covered gear has been discussed here before but I can't find the old thread. Maybe somebody else can find it and link it. You can always call Atlee's and talk to them about it. They'll steer you straight.

http://www.fadodge.com/index.php?op...ew=item&id=62:longstep&cid=11:steps&Itemid=53

Last edited:
Put one on my plane about 2 months ago, had taken the original step of during the rebuild 25+ years ago, best thing ever, makes getting in and out of the airplane great. Just cut the fabric away from the struts enough to get the clamp in. Can get you pictures this weekend if it would help you. Bottom line is do it. They come in black or white as well.

I just put an Atlee Dodge long step on a PA-11 during recover. Installed the clamps. covered the gear and added 2 layers of 4" tape at the step install line to make the fabric tougher for the toe/heel action it will likely see. Looks like it was always there, owner would like to have a lower step also, kinda like stairs on the gear leg. Told him no problem as long as he trades his big tires/wheels for the stock 8.00x4 on my -12 to make room for his stairs.
I would likely just remove & recover the gear leg if doing it on a flying ship, as long it was a SC gear or bungee time on a -12.

On the experimental Cub I built we made our own step that is also threaded for a shovel head. there are mounts welded into the gear and I welded a crosspiece right behind the step that the fabric attaches to so it left the step area open.

Attachments

• IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 148
For what it's worth, Atlee's can produce the long steps with specified CTC dimensions on the clamp spacing to allow a guy to alter where the step mounts on the gear. I had a couple made with special spacing and had them in a week. If you want the step a little lower or if there's interference with brake line tabs, etc you have the option to order what you want to put the step where you want.

Back