• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Legend Cub Vs Super Cub

D.A.

FRIEND
Free America
I'm curious about the LSA Continental powered Legend Cubs. At first look they appear to be a Super Cub with a Continental, very similar to a PA18-95, but the more I look, I believe they may be a J3 with a SC upper cabin structure. Now, I'm absolutely NOT saying that's a bad thing, I'm just curious. The TW Spring looks smaller (J3-ish) and it's hard to tell in pictures but the strut attach on the lower longeron looks thinner, also like a J3. I can't find any pictures of a bare frame, does the fuselage have the 3/8th tubes in the rear frame like a SC?

Thanks in advance.

Steve, what happened? Any injuries? That looks like a very disappointing day to say the least. Hope pilot was ok.

Kurt
All walked away without a scratch. Landing behind his house with two people and a slight tailwind. His adult daughter came running out, saw they were both fine and fainted. He told her some of his friends who had experience like this were coming to help take it apart. She told him he needed some new friends. :lol:

Did the X-brace on the top keep the cockpit from collapsing? If so, this is a good advertisement for the mod.

Also, the airplane ended up with the right side door on top for egress. Had it gone the other way, they would have been thankful for the left side door. I have wondered how hard it would be to kick out the left side window, the windshield or the sky light in a normally configured cub if the right side door was blocked.

I have wondered how hard it would be to kick out the left side window, the windshield or the sky light in a normally configured cub if the right side door was blocked.
I would wonder if you could just get your feet in a position to enable a kick? IF that had been the right wing instead of the left, it certainly would have been nice to have a fully openable left window instead of a small two piece slider.

I would wonder if you could just get your feet in a position to enable a kick? IF that had been the right wing instead of the left, it certainly would have been nice to have a fully openable left window instead of a small two piece slider.
All legends have flip open doors on both sides.

That's one of the reasons I put the same top door on the left side as on the right. And have a fixed clear lower panel for visibility.

Good point Steve, I'm still learning the Legend models.
The AL-3 and the AL-11 are the same airplane except for the cowl

I owned serial number 1003 for many years and 700 hours. As far as I’m concerned it’s MUCH closer to a PA18-95 than a J3. In fact one of the early purchasers sold his PA18-95 and bought an AL3 so he could fly sport pilot. Not only is the fuselage more like a SC than J3, the wing structure is all metal with no drag wires. The wings are built on a jig and come out true every time. My airplane required no tweaking. It flew hands off from minute one.

Like a -95, the tail is J3 and the gear is J3 or SC. Not sure. In the beginning Legend bought these common parts on the open market. Eventually they brought all in house.

I’m sure if you called Legend and spoke to Darin Hart he would be able to answer all of your questions. Now that Basic Med exists the PA18 is an alternative. When I bought mine, it wasn’t. Only reason I sold mine was Basic Med came along and I bought a C170B. Had 700 trouble free hours in my Legend and not always the gentle est of landings.

Rich

Did the X-brace on the top keep the cockpit from collapsing? If so, this is a good advertisement for the mod.

Also, the airplane ended up with the right side door on top for egress. Had it gone the other way, they would have been thankful for the left side door. I have wondered how hard it would be to kick out the left side window, the windshield or the sky light in a normally configured cub if the right side door was blocked.

Slider window on the left side of the cub can be taken out one handed with a simple tug. If you use real thin stuff without stiffeners on the ends the windows may take themselves out :oops:
DENNY

48D03004-54FD-4460-BA6E-7859E7D0EB16.jpeg
seems like .you. Could by about four super cubsfor the price of one legends moac

Attachments

• 48D03004-54FD-4460-BA6E-7859E7D0EB16.jpeg
    48D03004-54FD-4460-BA6E-7859E7D0EB16.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 203
Yes, but the 95 has sold within the last several years for a seventh of that. The guys who make Biplanes tanks sold a refurbished 95 for $52k, and knowing their workmanship (I fly a Stearman they restored) I have been kicking myself for not buying that one. Perfection. Stan is a good builder, but I doubt it was much better than Scooter's.

And there’s a nice CC SS available for 329k with good times. Depends on your mission and your vanity I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back