• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J-5a

CubFlyer22

I have a 1940 J-5A and am in the middle of my first annual on it. It currently has 26" Goodyear Tundra tires on it, but is lacking in paperwork for them. Does anyone know where I could look to find an STC for putting these tires on a J-5?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks

Save a bit of $$$$ and get the 29" New Airstreak from ABW...A buddy put them on his J5 and loves them...

Ron

My J5A has 29" tires, and I love them. A couple of points: It is faster on skis! With 4-6# of air it rolls nicely over just about anything, BUT, it is difficult to roll out of the hangar. 8-10# makes pushing/pulling much easier, BUT, it gets a little "bouncy" for takeoff and landing. You want to put adjacent marks on the rims and tires so you can tell if they rotate from the installation points, which is tough on valve stems. My plane also has a 3" gear extension, which puts everything right about at the optimum takeoff and landing attitude. Yes, they knock the cruise speed down, but hey, it's a Cub.

I have a 1940 J-5A and am in the middle of my first annual on it. It currently has 26" Goodyear Tundra tires on it, but is lacking in paperwork for them. Does anyone know where I could look to find an STC for putting these tires on a J-5?

Any help is much appreciated,
Thanks

Cleveland Wheels/Brakes or the goodyear blimp tires?

J5 A Smile as Big as a Mile

There is something very special about my J5 that just makes me smile
After my first flight with Bushwheels....well my smile was bigger and it lasted for more than four hours....had to call the doctor :lol:

Y'all aren't being particularly helpful...

The FAA has a "Tundra Tire" approval policy, which your IA should be aware of - or can find. If I recall, it's not particularly onerous but will require you to weigh and test-fly the Cub after installing them.

One comment that *was* helpful was the Bushwheel one. They have the light-weight version - AirStreak? - for gross weights under 1600 pounds (I think). Expensive but you get the STC. And, these are considerably lighter and softer than the Goodyears. Tubeless, too. All good things.

Jon

The FAA does have a tundra tire approval procedure. You fill out a form, the FAA comes out and gives you a temp. experimental cert. for the test flight. You test fly the plane. if everythings ok they sign off on it and give you another std. cert.

John

Back