• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I have been having an affair with a Carbon Cub and got caught

learntolandshort

I have been flying my Cub a lot more than my Maule recently so I figured I would make a little backcountry video to smooth things over. I posted this over at backcountrypilots.org and people seemed to like it so I figured I would share it over here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uctFNjywIQc&list=UUw72zUbudHTXBG298ClcXUQ&index=1&feature=plcp

I am new to this forum, but have been flying for a while. Coincidentally I think I actually took my first lesson in SJ's cub when it was at a flight school in Boulder. And just in case there are some hard feelings towards a Maules here is a Cub video: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAjJpOK6Avs&list=UUw72zUbudHTXBG298ClcXUQ&index=7&feature=plcp

Cheers!

Excellent!! Looks like lots of fun

Oh, and welcome since your new. Come on back a lot.

Last edited:
You are the guy in the Cub Crafters ad at the top of the page. "Refined yet brutish".

... I am new to this forum, but have been flying for a while. Coincidentally I think I actually took my first lesson in SJ's cub when it was at a flight school in Boulder. ...
I'm the other SJ. Was the cub in Boulder '67Q and painted green?
Here it is today:
67Q Owyhee.jpg

Attachments

• 67Q Owyhee.jpg
    67Q Owyhee.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 168
I don't have that banner, but yes it certainly could be. It was from a picture that was taken at Dolores point.

I didnt assume it was your banner, but it is a photo of your airplane taken from your very cool videos. I just assumed you worked with AOPA online. Anyway - nice airplane, great videos!

I don't have that banner, but yes it certainly could be. It was from a picture that was taken at Dolores point.

I didnt assume it was your banner, but it is a photo of your airplane taken from your very cool videos. I just assumed you worked with AOPA online. Anyway - nice airplane, great videos!

That banner is an ad from CubCrafters...the AOPA online is just a quote from them about them. Those pictures of his plane at Dolores are really nice in full size!

So how would you differ the Maule-SC-CC-Carbon? :D

Frankly I don't really think they are closely enough related to compare fairly. The Cub is just so easy to fly with massive massive performance. Additionally it has huge volume capabilities for cargo compared to say a husky, but it really is just a plane for pure fun. The Maule on the other hand is a bit more of a beast to manage. It is also significantly faster, can carry more and mine is IFR which is convenient sometimes (not to mention it has 4.5 seats). The Maule is easily a sub 400 ft plane in most conditions, while the cub is a sub 200 ft plane in most conditions. I live at high altitude so I am sure those numbers are better lower. But the fact is I only spend about 45% of my flying doing stuff that is shorter than 400 ft. Sometimes it is in the Maule Sometimes it is in the Cub. I feel like I wear the Cub when I am flying it, while I feel like you have to horse the Maule around more. Bottom line I wouldn't have both if they were too similar. Plus if I am camping with some Huskies and Cubs someone has to bring the beer.

"...if I am camping with some Huskies and Cubs someone has to bring the beer. "

Ummm, learntolandshort, I think Oskar Blues sells dehydrated beer, so it's more efficient to pack for the cub crowd. :cheers

Thanks. cubscout

Back