• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

HP & GROSS WEIGHT INCREASE PA18-135

M

montague

THANKS FOR TAKING A MINUTE-

INSTALLING 160HP ON 135 FRAME, NOT A REBUILD.

GONNA WELD THE 1750LB GROSS WEIGHT INCREASE TUBES WITH FABRIC STILL ON

NEED HELP WITH SPECIFICS IE: DRAWINGS, MATERIAL SIZE, ETC

ANYONE GOT DETAIL DRAWINGS OF PA18-150 AIRFRAME?

ANY TEXT OR DRAWING OF THE 1750LB UPGRADE STC?

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

ANY FEEDBACK APPRECIATED.

THANKS

The STC is available from Wag Aero. Pretty cheap too. Just buy it and you will be legal when you get done.

When I did mine a couple years ago, I was going to use the Wag, but it lists a certain prop,not a borer, a different oil cooler and so on..

I sent it back, paid a little more for CC, but it let me go to 160, and use the borer prop, then used sutton exhaust to get the rear oil cooler. the drawings for the 1750 called for the same tube placement, I beleive on both sets of drawings, Wag & CC..

Matt

the wag aero gross weight stc is only a supplement to their 150hp upgrade stc. so i dont know that i can use it to perform the 1750lb upgrade to the airframe using the cub crafters 150/160 upgrade stc. the cc stc only specifies that the fuselage be equivalent to a pa18-150 airframe, but it doesnt include anything to actually perform the mod.

do i just quote piper drawings for the pa18-150 fuselage to back up the airframe mod? then i am good to use the cc stc....?

montague said:
the wag aero gross weight stc is only a supplement to their 150hp upgrade stc. so i dont know that i can use it to perform the 1750lb upgrade to the airframe using the cub crafters 150/160 upgrade stc. the cc stc only specifies that the fuselage be equivalent to a pa18-150 airframe, but it doesnt include anything to actually perform the mod.

do i just quote piper drawings for the pa18-150 fuselage to back up the airframe mod? then i am good to use the cc stc....?

You are right , you can put the 0320 only on or the 0320 and GW increase on with the WAG STC.
I didn't know the 160 CC STC gave you a GW increase also.

Your 135 hp cub may already have the 1750 tubes welded in from the factory. The cabane bolts should be 5/16" also. If you need more info email me at jswalt@comcast.net.

John

I am helping Kyle out with this upgrade but since he is an A&P student at the local college and wants to learn how to go about most of this stuff himself I pointed him in the right direction and he's been doing a good job researching everything. His airplane is a stock 53' 135 cub, 13 rib and early fuse. It does have the H.D. cabane, but needs to have the 3/8" tubes welded in behind the aft baggage wall. Anyone have a pdf copy of the piper drawing for the pa18-150 fuse they could post?

Jason

Gross wt

Ditto what Ron says . If it is an L21B model it is already carrying the required tubes behind the baggage area on the lower fuselage . 5 small tubes .....RC

thanks jason, i got a copy of borers stc drawing. although it would be nice to have a piper drawing/number of the 18-150 fuselage to reference in the paperwork for the upgrade. this will do for now. much appreciated

You might check on the motor mount tube thickness. The 125/135 has a tube size of .049, and the 150 requires a thicker tube. I tried to use a 135 motor mount and Steve at FAD said it was too thin of a steel tube for my 150.

Back