• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Higgs Diesel

stewartb

Another thread mentioned Higgs engines, made by AC Aero. Curiosity got me so I looked them up. Interesting engines. Can burn jet or gasoline. 250 hp from a 165# engine or 500 hp from a 300# engine. The 250 hp Falcon engine shows a splined shaft, not a propellor flange. I’m curious what props these engines can use. Is anyone familiar with an airplane installation of any of the Higgs variants?

https://www.ac-aero.com/falcon-fl200/

Last edited:
Using one cylinder as the air pump for the other is the innovation. But all 2 strokes need an air pump, either by using the crankcase or an external supercharger. The rings on the air skirts look draggy at the hi revs this thing will need. Anybody find a dyno run? These days CNC can turn vaporware into deposits.

Another consideration would be the torque. You can get horsepower out of a small engine but it simply has no torque. And without that you can’t swing a prop.

Just something to consider

Drone engine is probably what they’re going after. The US military has been looking for a diesel/jet fueled engine for their drones. One of the requirements is it needs to be type certified.

A predator drone is about the same empty and gross weight of a supercub.

With the right gearbox and a constant speed prop designed for it, it should translate to thrust at the prop commensurate with the engine horsepower.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The US military has been looking for a diesel/jet fueled engine for their drones. One of the requirements is it needs to be type certified.

It's a very long time since I worked on anything military but I'm surprised that a UAV would require any (FAA) type certificate. As far as I can see USAF only cares about FAA type certification for aircraft that are derived from commercial/civilian aircraft.

Where can I find a reference that says UAV engines need a type certificate? I don't see that requirements here -

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/saf_aq/publication/afpd62-6/afpd62-6.pdf

It's a very long time since I worked on anything military but I'm surprised that a UAV would require any (FAA) type certificate. As far as I can see USAF only cares about FAA type certification for aircraft that are derived from commercial/civilian aircraft.

Where can I find a reference that says UAV engines need a type certificate? I don't see that requirements here -

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/saf_aq/publication/afpd62-6/afpd62-6.pdf

I was working for a R&D company a few years ago and it was a requirement.

Another consideration would be the torque. You can get horsepower out of a small engine but it simply has no torque. And without that you can’t swing a prop.

I'm swinging a 78" prop, 38 pitch (I think) on the RANS, thanks to the Rotax's gearbox, which I guess is why it's there, as a torque multiplier. I'd just as soon do without it, but compared to a 0-200 the weight savings is too significant. I want a direct drive engine with the same power I now have, but no weight gain, meanwhile the Rotax gets the job done.

When the Russkies took down that drone the other day, I took it personal at first, thinking it was one of the older Rotax powered ones!

Gearing. Look at the rice burning street racers and the speeds they achieve with tiny engines; at least until they grenade.

Back