• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Help! My tailwheel broke!

ulpilot

FRIEND
Took my father up for a ride yesterday and on landing I almost ground looped to the right. While taxing back the plane would turn right Ok, but had to use brake to make it turn left. On post flight inspection the tailwheel will lock for straight and right turns, but is free swiveling to the left.

This is a Maule 8 inch tailwheel, with about 600 hrs of my man handling. I thought I saw an article somewhere on this site on rebuilding the Maule tailwheel, but I'm a dummy when it comes to the search function.

Can anyone help?

Call the local parts house, and look under the name SCOTT...

Buy appropriate size, install and get mechanic to sign off.

You will not regret it!

aktango beat me to it... the only repair I know for one of those one sided forked Maules is to throw it in the trash.

Lost count of how many I've seen broken, that shimmy'd, caused handling fits etc.

It could also be a AK bush wheel 3200 as they are much less expensive than a Scott. Just throw the Maule out with the bath water.

Keep an eye on e-bay also. I snagged a scott for around $300, gave it a little tlc and it looks and feels like new.

There's a Scott on barnstormers:

SCOTT 3200 TAILWHEEL • $500 • CLEANING OUT THE HANGAR • Removed for Baby Bushwheel conversion. In great shape. Tire and wheel included. • Contact Joe A. Dory, Owner - located Boise, ID USA • Telephone: 208-484-7782 . • Posted October 6, 2008 •

Did not ask where to get a Scott, just advice on repairing the tailwheel I have.

Took it off the plane this evening and took it apart. Just a worn lock ring, under $20. I can use the money I saved not buying a new Scott on Avgas, enjoying more flying. Thanks for the advice!

Okay that you don't appreciate the advice/caution/warning..... but just remember that the next time you may not get off so lucky, when it fails again (and it will), and you might get that ground loop to go full circle for you. That'll cost you much more than a tail wheel.

a broom stick is much cheaper than the $20, and wont cause shimmy..

Easy to replace, no gnd loop tendency...

Better than a maule I think :angel:

Well there is our local small plane expert who has had 3 Scott,s break the fork on him, and no problem with the Maules. So even Scott has problems too.

If you note my first post, this one has 600 hours on it with no problems, and does not shimmy. I'm not anti Scott, just a blue collar working stiff trying to find a way to afford and continue flying. By not running out and buying a new Scott ( $1300!!), I can now use the money I saved to fly another 50 hours!

Back