• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Helmet

Terrain avoidance - I just look out the window, and it seems to work pretty good to me.

M1

M1 said:
Terrain avoidance - I just look out the window, and it seems to work pretty good to me.

M1

Yep. And if you can't look out the window and see the terrain, you shouldn't be there. I'm assuming the accident Cliff refers to is this one: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20040818X01248&key=1

GPS is not the answer. the answer is to not push into deteriorating weather until you can't see and hit a mountain. This may sound harsh, but that's the long and the short of it. If the pilot in question had turned around while she still had visibility, she'd still be alive.

There seems to be a disturbing trend toward believing that if you have a GPS with a moving map display, it's OK to poke your nose into conditions which don't allow you to see the rocks, or towers, or whatever. I won't dispute the value of such a system as a *backup* to a solid, well thought out, and professionally executed plan for keeping from hitting something you can't see. But that plan, whatever it is, should be sufficient by itself to keep you from crashing. The GPS is an additional layer of safety What I can't agree with is using the GPS map, not as a backup to that plan, but as a *substitute* for that plan. If a moving map display is your primary means of not hitting something, you really need to be rethinking what you're doing. Technology is not a substitute for basic airmanship.

Here's two pilots and some passengers who came to grief precisely for relying on technology rather than airmanship:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20050718X01044&key=1

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20021106X05441&key=1

Both bet their lives that technology could keep them from hitting something. Both misunderstood the limits of the technology that they were betting their lives on. One lost, and the other got pretty badly hurt.

Whew! For a minute there I thought I was the only one with a Dave Clark helmet. Got mine back when I was flying Ultralights, still use it, though not all the time. :oops: I actually find it more comfortable than wearing the headset alone. Stays put and spreads the weight out more.

Now, does anyone know of a good visor for the DC helmet? The ball cap type, not the tinted kind.

Phil

aalexander said:
M1 said:

M1

Yep. And if you can't look out the window and see the terrain, you shouldn't be there...

I am in total agreement. The technology is nice and, in theory, adds a margin of safety but it is absolutely no replacement for judgment calls on weather and keeping your eyes moving looking for things that you don't want to hit.

It's no fun seeing an awesome person and terrific pilot turned into an NTSB report with a bad ending.

aalexander,

Thank you, and well said!! I've been having that conversation with a person who seems to feel he can't leave home without detailed terrain mapping capability in the cockpit.

I remember many years ago, a 108 Super Cub hit a mountain, and amazingly, both occupants survived--barely. They were brothers.

When one awakened from his coma, he was asked who was flying the plane. He responded "My brother". When the other brother awakened, his response to the same question was, you guessed it "My brother".

I really get nervous when folks start getting so hung up on these little bitty screens, trying to pick out every fence post depicted on the moving map.

I may be out there somewhere, and I'd rather they were looking out the danged windows.

I fully agree with your post, and thanks,

MTV

Here is a company based in New Zealand that merkets very good helmets:

http://www.campbellaeroclassics.com/default.asp

No prices are given on the website. I have seen the one that Peter Teichmann wears when he is flying his warbirds. Its well made and according to Peter its very comfortable. This type of helmet looks more appropriate for a Super Cub than say a Gentex in my opinion. I have sent off for details but am still waiting for the letter. I will update when I have the details.

Tony

Nimpo.......ahh, the pesky $$ equation.Bottom line:get what you feel comfortable with and wear it.It is your head and something is better than nothing.(most times anyway).....Herman.

I am a big fan of the David Clark flight helmets. They are reasonably priced and give a lot of protection to the head. Yes! there are better helmets but the David Clark helmet is way better than no helmet and for the recreational pilot I think the David Clark is a good option. . The leather helmets from Tony's post look interesting but it is hard to tell from the photo how much protection they will give. I would like to see one in person or hear a review from some one that has used one

Jerry Jacques

I am interested in the helmet Idea. But not for the potential accident. I am interested in QUIET in the cockpit. 480 hrs last year in the 185, I think the Tinnitus is louder than ever in my ears.

Nezinscot Dan wrote
I am interested in the helmet Idea. But not for the potential accident. I am interested in QUIET in the cockpit. 480 hrs last year in the 185, I think the Tinnitus is louder than ever in my ears.
I'm still happy with my Gallet helmet using one earbud speaker and one real good foam earplug. I figure the foam earplug is better at reducing noise so am only wrecking one ear. The ringing in my ears is pretty bad---I'm 51---how old are you?
Marty

OK, call me cheap. I agree, a helmet is as important, as safety cables, shoulder harnesses, VG's, 31's. I never thought about it much until reading some of the posts on this sight about the leading cause of death in aviation crashes. I want to stay alive....but I like the freedom of doors opened, cut-offs and tennis shoes, if I were skinny I would be tempted to fly naked... nothing on but a smile and sunglasses. OK...forget that thought... .. When I am seriously goofing off, trying out new sand-bars. Taking what I call necessary risks to keep life from becoming to tame. Those are the days when I feel I am pushing what little flying skills I have to the limits. I can see clearly now that a helmet should be worn during these activities.. ........ Would a football helmet give enough protection? Did you just call me cheap? I know it would be without communication abilities. One with a sturdy line man's full face guard. That helmet should do well in a cub crash until I can get me a real helmet..... teeweed

Zinc for ringing in the ears...150mg per day, but only with food....it'll shrink your prostate, too....

teeweed, you crack me up. Thanks for the "nothing on but a smile and sunglasses"--I just came back from lunch, now I'm feeling sick. :D

OK, I'll call you cheap.

Tinnitus can be a symptom of Meniere's....though ringing can also occur in high noise occupations. Like flying 185s.

I've now been flying with the helmet for a week. I like it. It is comfortable and, yes, it seems to cut the noise down even more. I think it's because of the rubber gasket that attaches the headset to the liner. That, coupled with the ANR, makes for very quiet flying.

Although I have a 3 snap MXL visor with a flip up, I'd like to find a flip up lens that is half face in size. Every time I go to scratch my nose I hit the face shield :lol: On the plus side my face is totally protected and I look like a space alien.

m_dfa0259ff2317c9073348aac88e2c761.jpg

Nezinscot Dan said:
What type of helmit is the one you have on?

That's a David Clark K10. 320 bucks on SkyGeek.com. Shipping was 6 bucks, USPS ground.

k10sm.gif

I'm wearing an MXL visor with flip up shield on it (attaches easily on the 3 snaps). They are available online at most motorcylcle accessory stores or at your local motorcycle dealer.

One thing I forgot to mention about the rig is the absolute joy of not wearing sunglasses. It is amazing how uncomfortable they can be and how much noise they leak into the headset (even the nice ones with the tiny temples).

Sorry to hear about the truck. Cliff had quite the tale when he arrived at Gadabout.

Teweed

I use to have a hockey helmet and ear plugs when I flew my PA-11.

Get the best helmet you can afford. Any helmet will help in a crash so long as it is on your head.

Jerry Jacques

Ok, I've been using a helmet for several weeks now. I'm happy to report that the experience is going well. I now feel absolutely naked if I don't have it on. Comfort hasn't been an issue. It is definitely quieter because of the ear seal attach area. The visor and flip work really well. I'm still looking for a visor with a shield that isn't so long.

JP, I have the same visor on one of my helmets and am planning to cut it with a hot wire. The kids tend to fog up the full face version. I just put a simple lexan snapon visor with no face sheild on mine. Allows a ballcap like glare reduction and the front seat really doesn't need wind protection.

BlackFly said:
JP, I have the same visor on one of my helmets and am planning to cut it with a hot wire. The kids tend to fog up the full face version. I just put a simple lexan snapon visor with no face sheild on mine. Allows a ballcap like glare reduction and the front seat really doesn't need wind protection.

I was thinking about giving that a try on my spare. But I have no experience hot wiring. Can you give a quick primer and what you would recommend to do it with?

Jeff, I made a hot wire cutter using a battery charger, works good. Call me and I'll tell you what I did.
Tim

OK, I'm in.
My D/C K10 showed up today, got the headset installed in it this evening. It a good comfortable fit , and seems like it's well enough designed to add some significant protection. Anxious to go fly it!
I figure when I do the big stupid, I'm 90% odd of going over on my back and it's almost 100% guaranteed I'm going to hit my head on something despite the seatbelt/shoulder harness combo.
So snicker if you want to when you see me at the gas pumps. I don't care, I'm headed out to the gravel bars. :D
Chris

Chris,
You're really gonna look goofy pulling up to the pumps.

My D/C K10 came in last week. :D

Carey,
Glad to see I'm keeping such good company. We'll have to work on some sort of cool Cub 'Headbutt Handshake' we can do at the pumps. That will really have the Cirrus drivers snickering.
:wink:
CD

PS: Let's tell Gunny's wife what we've done, he's going to look REALLY good in one of these! (Have to put a Red Sox logo on it, though.)

Back