• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

GPS user waypoint transfers

spinner2

Montana
I recently bought a new Garmin aera GPS and did not want to load by hand the 60+ user waypoints I'd accumulated in my Garmin 396. My brother showed me a website called easygps.com for storing waypoint files that solves this problem.

From that website you download an .exe program that allows a very easy transfer of user waypoints to your computer and they can then be uploaded to another GPS. I downloaded the driver for the 396, got the .gpx files into my computer and uploaded them to the aera, after getting the appropriate driver, in about 10 minutes time. Drivers are selected from a model list under the brand name. It was simple and free and worked the first time.

These waypoint files then can also be edited or new ones added on your computer and uploaded to the GPS.

I'm passing this along since I'm sure others have run into the same problem. :smile: Kinda like transfering phone numbers from your old cell phone to the new one.

Spinner, you must be a computer wizzz:crazyeyes:

Nope. I'm not at all. Just dumb luck I guess as I usualy have trouble with these types of things and was surprised when it went so well. ;-)

Anybody know of another site or program that will do this work?

Garmin's MapSource program does this as well. It backs up the data base, you can make sets of waypoints and I can't remember what all. Works very well.

Mapsource is easy and you can store them in case you have internal GPS problems or someone adopts yours like they did my old 296.

You can download MapSource at no cost, but you can't install it unless you own a MapSource Product. See Garmin disclaimer:

"WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product."

With smartphones starting to edge into the Garmin GPS universe, you would think Garmin would make it easier.

FWIW, I attempted to load some .gpx files into a Garmin aera560 using EasyGPS recently and couldn't get it to work. It did work a few years ago for me very well, but not now. But I did find and download the free Garmin program Basecamp and it does the job. Loading .gpx files was easy.

Back