• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

First off airport landings

Aussie Scout

Tasmania Au
Here is trying to learn to upload photos ....
This is my first off airport landing. Never mind that a Chieftan could have put down here, it was a great spot for coffee and a rest, on a dry lake bed in South Australia. I was on my way west across Oz

coffee_spot.jpg

That night I really wanted to camp off airport so after a bit of searching I found this lovely grass clearing on the Nullarbor Plain. It turned out smooth but there was only about 700 feet. The camping was great, very remote wilderness.

desert_camp.jpg

The following day I needed a comfort stop so I found a paddock of stubble miles from anywhere and landed for a rest. What I thought would have been the best site turned out the worst of the three, under the stubble was some pretty big rocks!

Plane pix 026.jpg

Some 25 odd hours after leaving home I arrived on the west coast of OZ. All in all a great trip. Unfortunately I overstayed a bit and had to rush home (as fast as a Scout will rush) so no more outlandings.

Last photo is The 12 Apostles in the mist. Almost home!

12 apsotles.jpg

Attachments

• coffee_spot.jpg
    coffee_spot.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 278
  • desert_camp.jpg
    desert_camp.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 172
  • Plane pix 026.jpg
    Plane pix 026.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 238
  • 12 apsotles.jpg
    12 apsotles.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 177
Is this the off airport twelve step group.
Hi I'm Mongo and I'm an addict.......

Man Scout's look good on bushwheels.
That Scout will rush home a lot quicker than a cub will.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Can't wait to fly there some day. My kind of country. Rob, just curious what the mind set is about sat phones where you fly, seeing that it's very remote for miles around, SPOT?

The last time I was in Australia I just remember thinking the GIANT bats were going to pick me up and fly away.
One of the few foreign countries I would move to in a heartbeat, beautiful and interesting place.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

Rob, just curious what the mind set is about sat phones where you fly
Mongo, satphones are popular amongst the commercial pilots that regularly fly into remote strips. So is the HF radio from Codan, the NGT AR I think it is called. SPOT is having an advertising blitz over here but I don't know anyone that has this system.
On this trip I just went with me and a portable EPIRP and a heap of food and water.

Thanks Patrol guy, I am hooked, your mate Greg describes it on his web as "having found his heroin". Very apt! Plus he makes a cool video I have loved all the links to them you have posted.

That's just what I needed this morning! Pictures from Oz!
Been to the Apostles, and tried to ride across the Nullarbor on my bike - did a trip from Sydney to Adelaide and a few hundred miles west of there (Eucla) before the wind kicked my ass and sent me home. The flies miss me!
I want to come back and try it again! Best of times - thanks for bringing back those fond memories!
:cheers
I'd love to move down there with my Cruiser and punch holes in the sky!

Awesome Rob. Brought back memories of my trip there 6 years ago. stayed 2 months in Mclarenvale. Tell Ivor Pache hi from the yank cropduster from california.

Back