• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

First flight of my Experimental!

Bugs, great day for you and for many of us silently waiting for this day.

My brother and I spent hours in your website figuring out how to fix our SC using your pictures. We are really glad that you are enjoying your SC. You deserve it!

Greetings from Colombia

What an insperation this project has been! so much so that I have decided to start my own super cub project building an unfinished smith kit I picked up in Greeley co. Great job christian! conrats! hope to get to that point some day too..........

Dan2+2 said:
Hey proud new plane owner. How is the flying going?

Thanks again everyone. Still hard to believe the building has stopped and I have a finished and flying airplane.

I have around 11 hours in the Cub. Having lots of fun learning what it can do and also working on my technique, as I have flown sparsely over the past 5 years. I get around 95-99kts (GPS) @ 2450. Max climb around 1200-1500fpm. Easily lifts off around 150ft or so @ 30mph indicated. I cannot get to stall power off, just maple leafs. Power on stall can get a crisp but minor left break. Recovers instantly by lowering nose.

My #2 EGT runs around 75F higher than the others. Have checked the intake clamps. Not sure why higher. I only have 1 probe for CHT on #3. It will get up to 410F during max climb. Level flight stabilizes to 350F. I have never seen the oil temp higher than 168F. Usually hangs around 163F after a good 20 minutes of flying to warm up (40F OAT).

I needed to tighten up my flap cables because I was loosing around 5 degrees from wind loads. I have about 1/4 ball right yaw and very minor roll to right. I tried adjusting the fin but didn't take it out. I will adjust the washout on the right wing to try and compensate. Looks like I need to adjust the aileron cables as the ailerons are deflecting up a bit in level flight.

I am going to start loading the plane up with sandbags next to get to GW.

Love the plane!

IMG_0283_crop.jpg

Bugs, a big thanks for all the posts on this project. I know this has helped a LOT of people out, which is the beauty of this great bunch of folks.

Re: your performance, I'm not just impressed, I'm FAVOURABLY impressed. Keep tweeking as needed, these occasional updates are helpful too.

Thanks. cubscout

What is the STC/mod reference for the larger square windows and extended skylight? I've been seeing that on a several cubs lately and I really like it.

raph said:
What is the STC/mod reference for the larger square windows and extended skylight? I've been seeing that on a several cubs lately and I really like it.
Many of the large window cubs you have seen came from the factory equipped that way.
The large windows are from the military cub versions: L-18 and L-21
In Christian's case, he does not need any modification or additional paperwork since he is experimental.
In the case of the certificated Cubs, the reference is the opening paragraphs of the 1A2 Type Certificate data, referencing differences for the L-18, PA-19 and PA-18, then notes 4 and 5 at the end referencing differences for L-21A and L-21B.

1A2
I. - Model PA-19 (Army L-18C), 2 PCLM (Normal and Utility Categories), Approved April 1, 1949; Model PA-18, 2 PCLM
(Normal and Utility Categories), Approved November 18, 1949; Model PA-18 "125" (Army L-21A -- See NOTE 4), 2
PCLM (Normal and Utility Categories), Approved September 1, 1950; PA-18A, 2 PCLM (Normal and Utility Categories),
Approved September 21, 1951; Model PA-18 "135" (Army L-21B -- See NOTE 5), 2 PCLM (Normal and Utility
Categories), Approved April 25, 1952; Model PA-18A "135", 2 PCLM (Normal and Utility Categories), Approved April
25, 1952; Model PA-18 "105" (Special), 2 PCLM (Normal and Utility Categories), Approved November 24, 1952.
Model PA-18 same as PA-19 except that transparent enclosure is replaced by fabric. Model PA-18 "125" same as
PA-18 except engine installation. Army L-21A is the same as Model PA-18 "125" equipped with Lycoming O-290-D engine,
except for addition of military type cockpit enclosure. See NOTE 4 for compliance requirements
1A2
NOTE 4
Army Model L-21A is the same as Model PA-18 "125" equipped with Lycoming O-290-D engine, except for
military type of cockpit enclosure. The L-21A is eligible for certification under the provisions of this Aircraft
Specification provided all pertinent Airworthiness Directives and the following Air Force Technical Orders
have been complied with:
IL-21-201, IL-21-202, IL-21-203, IL-21-506, IL-21A-501, IL-21A-502, IL-21A-503, and IL-21A-506.
NOTE 5
Army Model L-21B is the same as model PA-18 "135", equipped with a Lycoming O-290-D2 engine, except for
military type of cockpit enclosure. The L-21B is eligible for certification under the provision of this Aircraft
Specification provided all pertinent Airworthiness Directives have been complied with.

Drawings and part numbers for the large windows are readily available.

Very nice looking project :D I really like the "windowing" that you did. Was that something that you'd seen somewhere? Or did you dream that one up?

And as I said in another post, nice site too. Thanks for sharing that.

Back