• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drones vs Airplanes

The old Fair Haven, VT grass airport is closed now after RC hobbyists moved in. Now full scale ops are "incompatible with current uses". There must another angle to the Pendleton story. If one more spray plane is dangerous, what about the existing users? They should close the airport to manned aircraft or just say they're concerned about the chemicals. Some applicators are unwilling to build spill containment dikes around their loading areas, but this guy seems on the ball.

I think there is an underlying reason that the city administrators are not saying. I think it is the chemicals used by the aerial applicators but they won't come out and say it. Even here in our little town of 3500 people we have those that want our local aerial applicator shut down. One of the guys on our airport (who nobody likes), wants him shut down and has called the state EPA on him several times and gone to the city council. He has passed every inspection with flying colors. Our aerial applicator is one of the cleanest operations I have ever seen. I worked for the state wildlife agency for years and would have turned him in if I thought he was polluting. Fortunately, the people in authority here know the importance of having our aerial applicator on our airport. This is a farming and ranching community. There are many times during the year that ground rigs can't do the job so the aerial applicator has to get it done. Unfortunately, we are getting more and more of the big city people with money moving here to buy up land for recreation and with that comes their ideas of how we ought to live out here in cow country. Yes, that big round Air Tractor engine makes noise but I like it. :D

I think there is an underlying reason that the city administrators are not saying. I think it is the chemicals used by the aerial applicators but they won't come out and say it. Even here in our little town of 3500 people we have those that want our local aerial applicator shut down. One of the guys on our airport (who nobody likes), wants him shut down and has called the state EPA on him several times and gone to the city council. He has passed every inspection with flying colors. Our aerial applicator is one of the cleanest operations I have ever seen. I worked for the state wildlife agency for years and would have turned him in if I thought he was polluting. Fortunately, the people in authority here know the importance of having our aerial applicator on our airport. This is a farming and ranching community. There are many times during the year that ground rigs can't do the job so the aerial applicator has to get it done. Unfortunately, we are getting more and more of the big city people with money moving here to buy up land for recreation and with that comes their ideas of how we ought to live out here in cow country. Yes, that big round Air Tractor engine makes noise but I like it. :D
I'd fire a business interference warning letter across the ass-hat's bow...

I like it too, in grade school we lived next to an orchard and a Snow would work the calm that came with twilight. Sometimes he'd climb the side of our chimney with an exhaust flame reaching back to the leading edge. My 8 year old mind may have embellished a bit.
Much later I was working across a small valley from an orchard that was being sprayed by a Pawnee. The runs were downhill, finishing below my position. Front row seat. The same outfit served orchards further west and it looked to me like another Pawnee was coming home and stopped in to help out. Before they finished a third Pawnee was working the same block. I stopped what I was doing, I've been to airshows that weren't as interesting. How they kept out of each others' way and kept track of the rows, I don't know. The goal was to put 3 white dots of pesticide on the UNDERside of each leaf, so I don't think you can see what is done from the air.
The only time I see a Pawnee these days is from the end of a 200' rope.

Back