• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Deregistered Super Cub

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I have found a PA18-150 serial number 187409107, N6590L. It is currently deregistered and wrecked. Story is the INS used it at the border. It has a huge speaker on the side. Any way of reregistering this A/C?

Steve Pierce said:
I have found a PA18-150 serial number 187409107, N6590L. It is currently deregistered and wrecked. Story is the INS used it at the border. It has a huge speaker on the side. Any way of reregistering this A/C?

Steve...

INS reported it "destroyed" on 6/14/85, although it wasn't deregistered until 8/23/90... OKC still has all the paperwork, so it's doable... Call Registry @ (405) 954-3116 and ask them how to reregister it...

You are older than I. Sorry. Won't refer to your age anymore but you have to be old to have owned all of those planes otherwise you might be like some people I know that look young but to do all they say they have done they must be 100 yrs. old. Glad to see the Cubby back on you avatar. Was afraid you sold it.

My guess would be just like bringing it in from another country:

conformity inspection
DAR or FAA inspection and sign off
FAA Cert. Branch file started...

The key that unlocks the door to this is ownership. You won't get past square one until you're the registered owner of the aircraft. Once that issue is dealt with, the airworthiness stuff is relatively routine.

So the key question is, do you have legal transfer of ownership (or can you get same) from the last registered owner. If the answer is "yes" then you've got the makings of an aircraft regardless of how much of the physical aircraft you have. If the answer is "no", then you've got some work to do.

Yep, it can be done as said...get ownership and send it in. You don't need an a/w cert, just paperwork that shows you own it. I just did one about a year ago with only a bill of sale...it's now re-registered with original numbers and a clear "title". I brought my Bellanca back in the country from Canada and got a bill of sale from the last registered owner (who had sent a letter to the FAA saying it had been parted out) and got all the original paper on it too...so it can be done...at least it's been done twice that I can prove. It's not a quick process, as each took almost a year.
JH

PA-22/20-160 said:
Do you just register it by serial number?

FAA actually keeps records based on manufacturer and serial number (since N numbers can and do change). So long as you have a bill of sale that shows the manufacturer and serial number you are in good shape.

Back