• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Cruiser Wing Rib Sales Display or Pattern ???

jgbogner

Lakewood, OH
Hi,

I have a piece of memorabilia for the Cub Cruiser. I have had this for a number of years and have never seen another one & I know nothing about it. I believe it was for display in a Piper Cub sales room or maybe it was a master pattern for production.

It's a mock-up of a wing rib or frame. It has a plaque that says: "CUB CRUISER - Shotweld - Stainless Steel Construction - Aircraft Division - Edward G. Budd Mfg. Co. - Philidelphia, PA". It has 2 other small plaques - "Nav. Lights" & "Panel Lights". It's about 62-1/2" long & 7-3/4" high. It has 2 boards attached representing the wood stringers going through the wings. It also has a cross brace between these wood blocks.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me. I can take pix of it if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks, Jim

Greetings Jim,

Hey, that sounds neat. I had the luck of having some prints signed by Willaim "Bill" Piper Jr before he died. This was a few years ago, after chatting w/ him on the phone I few to LockHaven PA. to meet with him and set-up the new "Bush Alaska" Super Cub display in thier museum. I stayed there a couple of days and he gave me the grand tour of the place.
They had an old, original, "J" series Cub there (built by Taylor) with the old-style string, rope, that you pulled one way or the other to work the trim. I tried to talk him into letting me take it for a ride, but never had the chance. (I was looking forward to seeing the sparks from the tail skid on their paved runway :lol: )....

We have quite a collection of old Cub stuff around our house. The better looking stuff my wife puts in the house, the other stuff stays in the shop, which is where I stay sometimes when I'm not looking, or smelling good. At any rate, I'm very interested in seeing a picture of what you have. Kindly email me with an attached picture.

byron@alaskabiggamehunting.com

Good Flying...>Byron Lamb

Back