• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Consolidated Fuel Carbs

ksecub

Portland, OR
I need some advise.

I think I need to replace or rebuild my carburetor, I have a hesitation when I goose the throttle on approach to landing. I really dislike the lag or hesitation and it has scared me a couple of times when landing in very short spots with minimal room for error. I changed the plugs and that did not seem to help. My mixture control shaft is very sloppy so I am thinking that I should do something soon.

I have heard some unfavorable things about the exchange carburetors from Consolidated Fuel. I have heard people compline about the same problem I am experiencing with their new or rebuilt carburetors. Has anyone else had any luck with Consolidated Fuel carburetors? I would like to hear your experiences good or bad. The other option is to have my carburetor rebuilt by a local engine accessory shop. What would you do?

Doug

Precision (who holds the Type Certificate for the Marvel Schebler carb) is in your neck of the woods. They do great work and have a great tech dept. I had a newly OH'd carb from Consolidated leak after about a year. They fixed it for free. Installed another Consolidated on an O-360. Two years later it was running very rich. They had me do some troubleshooting and then had me send it to them for repairs. No charge. My experience with both these vendors tech people as well as Unison (Slick), Lycoming and Continental have been very good. Have all your part numbers and some knowledge of how things work and they are usually very good at explaining troubleshooting procedures, repairs and the theory of what is happening. I have learned a lot by simply picking up the phone.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. In reading between the line I think I am hearing you say that I should go with Precision not Consolidated, is that correct?

Doug

Yes. Consolidated stands behind their rebuilds but it is stilla pain to pull it off and send it in. You might call Precision. They might tellyou how to fix yours unless it needs a complete OH. My problem with new OHs is they tend to jet them real rich so you have to lean it all the time to keep from fouling plugs every 25-35 hours. Just my opinion.

Back