• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 170 with 180 hp

SC3CM

Looks like I might have a chance to ferry a plane a friend bought. It's a C170 with a 180hp engine, constant speed prop, 26" Alaska tundra tires, 50 degrees flaps, no interior or fancy panel. I think it has a radio and xpndr.

At any rate, aside from the obvious black knob/blue knob/red knob, dirty side down stuff, does anyone have any tips or tricks? I can't imagine it's going to be hard to figure out, but just wanted to ask first.

It's set up as a hunting plane in OR right now but I'll probably pick it up outside MSP at a place called Flemming field where it might sit a week or so while I can work it into the schedule.

In other news... We may be adding another plane to our northeast crew!

Rene

Flys just like a stock 170 except it takes off shorter, climbs faster, cruises faster and burns more gas. If it has standard tanks 4hrs is max. Oh and unless its a bird dog it only has 40 flaps.

Good set-up for a 170B

Mike_was_here%7E0.jpg

170B_-_180_hp_on_Federal_Hydraulic_skis.jpg

170B%20180%20CS%20landplane.jpg

170B%20180%20CS.jpg

170B%20at%20Sand%20Point%202.jpg

Disk%202%20High%20Resolution%20leave%20Ft%20Francis%20arrive%20Seine%20Bay0002.jpg

Stellar. That's is the coolest aircraft on earth! Thank you for the pictures!

Flys just like a stock 170 except it takes off shorter, climbs faster, cruises faster and burns more gas. If it has standard tanks 4hrs is max. Oh and unless its a bird dog it only has 40 flaps.

It must be an A model, the 170A has plain flaps which go down 50 degrees. The 170B has more effective fowler flaps with 40 degrees of deflection. And the Bird Dog has 60 degrees.

Be careful getting out of the airplane.

First one I flew, when exiting the airplane, everything in my mind told me it was an early C172. Put my foot out expecting the ground but it wasn't there. Ended up flat on my ass with one leg still in the plane. Kinda funny now, but(t) hurt back then.

Have fun!

nkh

Great visability over the nose which looked scary to me when wheel landing but I got used to it. I was also used to stiff Piper gear and I kept letting the spring gear launch me back in the air. SJ said an old C170 pilot told him to set one gear down first and it won't spring back.

If it has original gear, it'll flex a lot. The A model flaps are pretty useless except to create a little drag. Watch the fuel if it has stock tanks...37 useable, at least in the Bs. Not much fuel for x country.

be prepared to spend a lot of quality time on the rudder in flight....they're pretty much unstable in yaw, but you get used to it fairly quickly.

pay close attention to the first landing you make....many of these early Cessnas haven't had the gear properly aligned and can be pretty interesting in a landing on pavement.

Have fun.

MTV

Stellar. That's is the coolest aircraft on earth! Thank you for the pictures!

Well, after the Supercub anyway, but the 170 is up there. Sweet handling on the control, and great vis over the glare shield/nose. Just not a fast plane.

They look better and land better on heavier 180 gear.

Be careful getting out of the airplane.

First one I flew, when exiting the airplane, everything in my mind told me it was an early C172. Put my foot out expecting the ground but it wasn't there. Ended up flat on my ass with one leg still in the plane. Kinda funny now, but(t) hurt back then.

Have fun!

nkh

I would have liked to have seen that Nate!

Back