• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carbon Cub - Second Look in Winifred

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
20130608_171529.jpg

I have been in three carbon cubs. The first I "rode" in, the second I flew with my wife in the back on a very hot day and full fuel, and while in Winifred, Ralph Rogers let me fly his wife Melissa's Carbon Cub (after blackmail threats, chicanery, etc) with 1/4 tanks all on my lonesome.

Winifred is about 3300' elevation and I would say the density altitude when I flew was about break even with the actual altitude, maybe a few extra hundred feet high. We had been watching a Weatherly take off with a spray load that was using up nearly all 4000+ feet of runway.

If I had to sum up the 20 minutes or so I spent in the plane fooling around, it would be to say, "There is a reason this plane is so popular". This is truly a fun flying airplane and in spite of my efforts to make it misbehave with cross controlled stalling, etc, I was given only a gentle response. I virtually ignored the glass stuff on the panel and just looked out the window. I occasionally looked at the steam ASI out of curiosity and at the GPS groundspeed when slow flighting into a headwind, but otherwise, just flew it by feel. To use Ralph's words, flying this plane is, "Almost like cheating" it is so capable, yet so docile.

I had been practicing spot maximum performance (for me) landings in the C180 when I came in and was consistently turning things around in under 400' (remember, density altitude more than 4000' most of the time) but I was using a lot of brakes, and really working at it. by contrast, I literally "plopped" the Carbon Cub in without much thought in less distance with no brakes. If you have flown a cub - other than the flap location and electric trim - you will be right at home. The overhead flap location and the electric trim are easy to get used to, and not unlike a regular supercub, trim is a set it and forget it item.

I did quite a bit of slow flight and stalls - the power-off ones were really "mushes" rather than stalls, and cross controlled while doing so - and found them quite docile.

To reiterate, it's fun, easy, and I can see why this is one of the hottest little planes on the market right now. Frankly, it's not in my budget at the moment and may never be, but I look forward to the next time someone throws me the keys!

sj

Attachments

• 20130608_171529.jpg
    20130608_171529.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 221
I got in the back of Joe' yesterday after the Curtiss Jr I was flying threw the left exhaust stack into the prop and wing a few times. I liked it. Almost goes over backwards when you push the lever forward.;-)

Glenn

Last edited:
There were 6 of us at Winifred who own CC's and we commented that no one believes us when we tell them our fuel burn. Mine averages under 6 GPH. (The RV guys also own Carbon Cubs)

I might comment that Steve made landing a C-180 short look easy too. They looked to be double a good Cub landing.

Last edited:
For the Carbon Cub guys:

How are you certified: LSA, E-LSA, or Exp? What size fuel tanks?

And finally, (don't answer this for yourself) do any of your friends ever exceed the max. LSA weight? Ever heard of anyone being ramp checked for this?

For the Carbon Cub guys:

And finally, (don't answer this for yourself) do any of your friends ever exceed the max. LSA weight? Ever heard of anyone being ramp checked for this?

Before anyone answers that you need to tell us how the sequester is affecting your job in Oklahoma? :)

I am not FAA, CIA, NSA, or PRISM. Answer every question with: "I would never violate a FAR, but I've heard........"

I am not FAA, CIA, NSA, or PRISM. Answer every question with: "I would never violate a FAR, but I've heard........"

Sorry. All my years as a cop. I would have started a conversation with a doper: "So how is that grow going? Any good bud...?" :)
Interestingly enough I'm going to move my further comments to another thread that will be destined for R&R..

There are few LSA that can fly legally with pilot, saftey gear and fuel... Thank you EAA, good job.

Has anybody been busted for exceeding max gross weight in a Carbon Cub? What happens? I can see it is a major safety issue in some airplanes, but in Carbon Cub that can magically fly at 1750 lbs or more with different paperwork? (How does the airplane know what paperwork it has?)

Has anybody been busted for exceeding max gross weight in a Carbon Cub? What happens? I can see it is a major safety issue in some airplanes, but in Carbon Cub that can magically fly at 1750 lbs or more with different paperwork? (How does the airplane know what paperwork it has?)

Agreed. But, stay far from trouble if you have any assets! Some fuel pump records are available to the FAA.

Heck that's Jim Nabors, Stan and Jim just got married after 37 years together (same sex legally in Hawaii)! My hangar was next door to Jim Nabors, Stan (pilot) used to give me Macadamia nuts from their farm in Maui. Jim has a Piper Chieftain brought over from Georgia. Really nice airplane.

Two major problems with owning a CarbonCub.
1. When you tell your friends what you are burning for gas, they believe you have become a liar.
2. It increases Crow's feet wrinkles around your eyes....you can't get the grin off your face.

For the Carbon Cub guys:

EAB with 1865# gross. Never been asked before by the FAA or on this site.

Why do you ask?

I have flown several carbon cubs and the takeoff performance can't be beat. I flew one from Yakima to Florida. Great airplane. I like the feel of my sport cub better in the air. It has a lighter more responsive feel. I can land just as short in the S2, but my takeoff three times as long with a high density altitude!

flying any airplane should put a grin on your face!

Back