• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Captain Hal Terry, Author of "Fly the Wild and Stay Alive" Goes West

WindOnHisNose

BENEFACTOR
Lino Lakes MN (MY18)
Hal Terry, author of "Fly the Wild and Stay Alive", a good book on bush flying, passed away last week in Great Falls, Montana, at the age of 86.

His obituary was published at http://www.croxfordfuneralhome.com/index.php?p=obituaries&id=1113.

Captain Harold Lewis Terry, USN retired, died on Thursday, November 13, 2014. He passed away peacefully in his sleep due to pneumonia and complications with Alzheimer's disease. Hal was 86 years old and had a full, adventurous life. He was raised in an orphanage in Kentucky. At 16 he went on to Baria where he supported himself as he finished high school, doing his last two years in one year so he could fight in WWII. He spent 30 years with the United States Navy. He loved flying airplanes. Hal retired in 1975. He then went to Alaska for 15 years, to fly for Fish and Game.

I first came to know Captain Terry shortly after buying my super cub and I heard about his book. I bought it and it is packed with some good pearls...I would recommend it. I contacted Hal shortly thereafter and he was living with his wife in Arizona, so I arranged to go fly with him for a couple of days. Some issues arose for him and he could not keep the appointment, and he wrote me a really nice letter. I learned a few years ago that he was in a care facility in Great Falls, where he was suffering from end stage Alzheimer's disease, and I never had the chance to meet him in person.

Subsequent to that, I came to learn much more about Hal. He was on tap to lead the Blue Angels, but when his wife took ill he resigned his appointment so that he could take care of his family. I would also say that those who knew him in the Navy greatly respected him. I was sharing some thoughts with Mike Vivion and he, too, had met Hal and had nothing but superlatives to use to describe this gentleman.

We wish him Blue Skies.

Randy

It is sad to hear that Hal has passed. He was the definition of living life to the fullest. I first met Hal when he was flying for ADF&G and I was a field biologist. His captivating Navy flying stories were always fascinating with his stories of the some of his first night carrier landings were most indelibly etched in my mind! He was starting a second career and a second family living seasonally out of Sand Point, Cold Bay and Kodiak at that time. Hal was unique in that he could take his structured Navy flying experience and transfer that to flying cubs and beavers in some of the worst weather and bush landing areas anywhere. I can never remember anything but a smile from him regardless of how challenging or “sporty”, as he used to say, the flight or landing may have been. Rest in peace Hal.

Hal was truly a class act. He always addressed everyone as "Sir" or "Madam" as appropriate, even folks who were less than half his age. The quintessential professional aviator, who flew both Navy fighters designated as "F-8" (Bearcat and Crusader) and many civilian aircraft, Hal approached every airplane and flight with the same professional rigor.

he also had a wonderful gift for story telling, and, man, did he have some stories. And a great sense of humor.

God's speed, Hal.

Mike

Folks, I have learned that there is a possible route through which we might be able to get more copies of Hal's book. I will keep you posted, but I'm working on this. Please pm me if you are interested in a copy. No promises, but there are some distinct possibilities.

Randy

Glenn, thanks for the note. I think others did the same, as they sold out quickly. I have some connections in MT and am working on getting access to more.

Randy

Yea one. I was going to give it to you for Christmas because I was thinkin Randy was going to send me one of the two that he bought for my Christmas surprise. Then I got to remembering that " ain't got a popcorn fart in church chance in hell saying " So I'm keeping mine. I'm going to keep it in the plane while I try to absorb all of the knowledge in the book, you can borrow it when it smartens me up but the pages might be a little thin by then.

Glenn

I bought one also. The first few pages it says to be good at bush flying you have to hit your spot within 50ft :roll:

Folks, shortly after initiating this thread I wrote a letter to Hal's wife, Bonnie, at the address that I had for Hal. I had had several conversations with him a number of years ago, while arranging flight instruction with him. Here is the response I just received from her...

Dear Dr. Corfman
Thank you for your very kind note about Hal and his book. Altho I miss him dearly, I too am relieved his very long battle with Alzheimers is over. He had an amazing life. Of course his love was flying.

I have gone ahead and ordered 100 more books that are available now on Amazon. If you want more copies for your group just let me know. I can sell them to you in groups of 10 for $15.00 each and you can in turn sell them for $24.00 to raise funds for your group. Please don't sell them for less. I am very pleased Hal wrote this book when he did. His objective was to save lives. My hope is this will continue to be used by pilots not just in Alaska but all over.

Thank you again.

Bonnie Terry

I would encourage those of you who wanted copies of "Fly the Wild and Stay Alive" to visit Amazon and check it out. I did so moments ago and it was not listed as available then, but that might change soon. If I do not see it available soon I will purchase a number of books and in turn make them available to you.

I would also encourage you to take time after you have read the book and let Bonnie Terry know how much you enjoyed it. I have her address and will gladly provide it to you if you pm me.

Randy

I have had some emails and pm regarding buying Hal's book. I have sent a message to Hal's wife, asking her to make sure Amazon is going to list the books. Should this not go as planned I will post a message here, and after I get an idea as to how many want books I will purchase a number of books from her and sell them to you at cost plus shipping.

Stay tuned...

Randy

Tried to order again from amazon.com. They won't ship that particular book to Canada. Amazon.ca doesn't have it, so I'll have to rely on you, Randy!

I received this note from Bonnie Terry, Hal Terry's wife, last night:

Dear Dr Corfman

I dont know what you did but Thank you! Today Hal"s books were in great demand! I appreciate you putting the word out. Hal would be so pleased that after all these years his book is still selling. I too, wish you had met Hal in his healthy years. He was full of life and loved flying. He took me a time or two and what great fun we had. He wanted to teach me to fly but .... well I enjoyed the ride too much and would forget to fly.

I just want to encourage people to buy Hal's book, as there are some great pearls there, but also to thank you for honoring Hal's life by doing so. It obviously means a lot to his wife.

I just purchased a few more copies of his book on Amazon.com, so I know it works (at least those living in the U.S.). If you pm me, like NunavutPA-12 has done, I will get the books to you at cost plus shipping.

Randy

This book was loaned to me a couple of months ago and I found it pretty cool with lots of anecdotes. I just bought my own copy to keep.

Wow this is unbelievable! Being home with an injury and having too much time on my hands I've been googling family members and former friends. Capt. Terry was my uncle for awhile in the 60's and early 70's. He was married to my Aunt Karen. They lived in Rhode Island for awhile than moved to Arlington as I believe he was working at the Pentagon. I have many memories of him although I was probably 12 or so when they broke up. They adopted a few kids and I remember that they ate like robots and would only talk when he spoke to them first. I did hear that he moved to Alaska and became a bush pilot.To tell you the truth I thought he passed more than a few years ago and had no idea that he wrote a book. My aunt passed around the same time. Thank you guys for posting these things about him and I hope that I can find his book.

I'm sorry I didn't read your whole post before commenting. I did write "they" adopted a bunch of kids but I'm remembering now that they were from a previous marriage and I'm not really sure if it was my aunt who adopted them as part of their marriage or if they were his biological kids or not. Both my mother and aunt have passed and it would be nice to know more family history before it gets lost.

I was just going through some old correspondence this evening and ran across a letter from Hal dated 1988, in regards to an editorial I had written for the old Super Cub Pilot's Association. He was everything people have said about him, and he took the time to write an 8 page letter and complimenting me on my writing. I didn't know who he was at the time, but we ended up crediting him in our new book Mountain, Canyon, and Backcountry Flying. His book was full of gems, and we were proud to quote him.
Thanks for everything, Hal.

Dick,

I recommended Hal's book to Amy when we discussed your book. Hal's writing style can be a little hard to read at times, but there is a lot of great information there. I have never found anything in there that I'd argue with.

A quick story: Back in the 70s some time, I'd been flying Super Cubs on floats a lot, but hadn't been flying on wheels much lately. That was back before the requirement for a tailwheel endorsement, and I had flown cubs on wheels before, just had been some time. Anyway, our Aircraft Manager told me I needed to get a checkout in the Cub on wheels, but at the time, their check airman had just had a heart attack. I suggested that I might be able to get Hal Terry to fly with me. He was working for an air taxi outfit called Fly Rite then. They said go for it. I loved flying with Hal, and he and I were good friends.

So, many years later, I was at the Montana Aviation Conference, and was to present a talk on off airport flying. As I was setting up to do the presentation, who walks in but Hal Terry. I greeted him, we visited a bit, and he sat down, close to the front. As I started the program, Hal pulled out a notebook and pen and started taking notes.

I told the audience that the gent sitting there in front taught me everything I know about landing an airplane off airport. A bit of exaggeration, but what a guy!

And, there are a lot of other great Hal stories.

If you can find a copy of his book buy it. Mine is seriously dog eared now. And, no, it's not going to be loaned out.

MTV

Back