• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Canadian Cub

stearmann4

FRIEND
Tenino, WA
You guys have solved several of my Cub problems on here recently, here's my latest quandary;

My Cub was imported from Canada in Dec 05 to WA. When I (recently) purchased the bird, I was handed about a 2' stack of logs and records. It's all there. but in no logical format. The Canadian log is closed out properly with airframe, ENG, and prop TT and TSOH. When the aircraft was signed off by the Seattle FSDO for importation, it was issued a new (US) airframe, engine, and prop log which reflects the same times as the Canadian log close outs.

The plane had no meter on the tach, so the FSDO inspector made the previous owner install a vibration-sensing tach on the overhead, which read 7.0 when I bought the plane. I can only assume this means there was 7 additional hours on the plane after the Canadian logs were closed. out.

Bear with me; So I contacted the Canadian owner to ask how he accounted for component time when he owned it. Turns out, he used a "Journey Log" which after review, amounts to an estimated logbook entry for accounting for flying time.

We have no intentions of selling this plane for the foreseeable future. It appears in good condition, runs well. My questions is have I bought something that will lose significant value due to it's Canadian heritage (lack of U.S. accepted time-logging methods.) for anyone other than the inexperienced buyer I was?

Thanks for all your guidance over the last couple of months.

Mike-

J-3C N104LG

No way. A lot of early Cubs, Clippers and other old airplanes had non recording tachs and times were taken from flight logs. Some of the old logs I have reviewed have every flight the aircraft ever took others have none.

Back