• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can you identify which kit is this?

marcio

Hello dear Super Cub friends.

My name is Marcio, I'm a private pilot here in Brazil. I usually fly an aircraft close to the J3 cub, but a Brazilian version of it.
I'm glad to post on this forum for the first time. I hope to make some friends and gain some experience with you.

A friend of mine bought this kit from someone who was cleaning a hangar. All this guy knew about this kit is that it is supposed to be a "J&L Widebody PA-18". The kit hasn't ever flown nor finished.

I am trying to help out this friend identify it correctly, in order to try to obtain the builder's manual and related documentation. I tried to google "J&L PA-18", but nothing came up. When I tried "PA-18 Widebody" I was able to find a company called "airframe Alaska" but still I couldn't determine for sure.

One thing I found really different is the wing strut attachment, made in aluminum alloy. I don't have any pictures with me, but the strut itself also seems to be aluminum.

I am attaching some pictures here. I would really appreciate any help given.

fuselage1.pngfuselage2.pngfuselage3.pngfuselage4.pngstrutAttachment.pngstrutAttachment2.png

Attachments

• fuselage1.png
    fuselage1.png
    556.1 KB · Views: 171
  • fuselage2.png
    fuselage2.png
    633.6 KB · Views: 133
  • fuselage3.png
    fuselage3.png
    647.4 KB · Views: 169
  • fuselage4.png
    fuselage4.png
    562.9 KB · Views: 149
  • strutAttachment.png
    strutAttachment.png
    412.4 KB · Views: 128
  • strutAttachment2.png
    strutAttachment2.png
    374.5 KB · Views: 111
Look at the tubing in front of the door and see if you find a plate with a serial number on it. That might help identify the fuselage builder. I don't think you will find a builders manual most of the cub kits don't have them. That wing strut attachment is somewhat similar to a Taylorcraft but looks like a one off. Are the wings for the project on the wall? Compare the ribs to common suppliers (D&E Carlson ect) and you may have your answer for them. That wing fitting makes it a bastard cub so you may be inventing the wheel on that.
DENNY

One thing I found really different is the wing strut attachment, made in aluminum alloy. I don't have any pictures with me, but the strut itself also seems to be aluminum.

View attachment 66634View attachment 66636View attachment 66637

I can't tell you who made the kit. I can point out a couple of clues. In the first and third pictures, notice the front of the fuselage. There is no internal V or X bracing. All the Cub kits which I've seen or have seen pictures of have V or X bracing there.

In the second picture notice the wing ribs. They have formed round holes in them. Who makes these ribs?

That aluminum strut fitting bolts into a set of aluminum struts and could come from several sources.

The top deck gingerbread is also a nonstandard mix of standard/ag cub. I would refer to Bill Rust post on his build, get a L21 construction manual, Backcountry manual, and Dakota wing build instructions and that should cover most questions. Followup here for the rest.
DENNY

Those wing strut attach fittings look like D&E. I bought their strut kit, but it didn’t work for me. That fitting needs to be angled forward at 6 1/2 degrees. Reluctant to machine a new fitting I bought aluminum wing struts from Airframes Alaska. Perfect workmanship, perfect fit for my EAB Super Cub.

J-L, most likely the initals from the first names of 2 people? also there use to be a fellow named Spraker that offered a completed main frame but was less a lot of needed tubes that the customer welded in. he offered main frames and only took them as far as the customer wanted. and these wing ribs look similar, hard to tell, to whats leaning against the wall, like farmer hank mentioned. and they also offer aluminum strut material. just a thought. https://www.de-aircraft.com/shop

Last edited:
and the best advise i can offer is run a string line down the center or find a good jig and see if things are correct measurement wise to save a lot of headaches later. someone elses frame can look pretty until its put in a good jig. been there.

Back