• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

C-172 w/G1000

d.grimm

toledo, oh
Flew as safety pilot with a friend in a new(600 hrs) 172 w/G1000.
First approach at 1500 ft it gave a mighty belch and I started looking for a place to land. Then the number 1 Comm and Nav failed, and automatically went to 121.5.
To say I was not impressed is a understatement. Do they all have these issues? Mechanic passed it off as static electricity(BS)!!

Yikes! I have about 30 hours behind the G-1K in several different planes, It is a pretty nifty neato system. Have not flown a 172 with it. There are so many redundant battery / backup systems on it I don't know how it could hiccup, but apparently it can!

The steam gauges do give me some comfort, yes even I the technology guy. I know you still have a couple in the panel in the G1K installs. I also really like my wet vacuum pump in the 180. I know it will warn me before it gives up the ghost unlike the carbon pumps.

I think situational awareness stuff like G-1K, ADS-B, and the like can really help folks be safe in the sky IF (and a very very big IF) they learn how to use it properly and stay proficient.

sj

I am actually delivering 6 from Wichita (CEA) to Miami over the next two weeks.
I think 3 of them will be G1000 equipped. I have flown at least 40 (g1000 equipped) of them and we have delivered that many over the pond. We have had 1 screen failure and 2 alternator failures. We have also had one that the plug in the controllers in the rear were loose. It brought up a big red cross when that one was loose. They seem to be reliable so far but the highest time we have seen is about 500 hours so far.\

I had a bad EHSI King 825 in a caravan this week, 10K out of the box, so even the new stuff is bad sometimes. :eek:

If you like glass cockpits, they are fun to fly.

Ki

Ohhhh, jeeez, how'd ya like to have your gazillion dollar glass cockpit go fast mobile show you a big red cross in solid IMC?

A little symbolism, perhaps?

MTV

Back