• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Buying Parts....Price VS Quality

behindpropellers

NE Ohio
I have the following parts I need to buy to finish off the interior of the J-5. Univair has all of them, Wag Aero has some of them, often at a much higher discount....

Where do I save my $$? Is all of Wag's stuff junk?

(4) Rudder Peddles
(2) Brake Peddles
peddle springs
peddle attach hardware
Pulleys

Also...I need a new stick connector, should I make one or buy it? Even if I buy one I need to modify it to fit.

Tim

Wag. stuff isn't all junk. Order what you need, and if you don't like it send it back. My opinion

Tim

If you are going to make the stick connector why not make the rudder and brake pedals too? Rudder pedals can be made in a couple evenings.

Also, you might want to check www.preferredairparts.com/
Occassionally they surprise me with a good price.

Bugs66 said:
If you are going to make the stick connector why not make the rudder and brake pedals too? Rudder pedals can be made in a couple evenings.

Also, you might want to check www.preferredairparts.com/
Occassionally they surprise me with a good price.

Bugs-

I really enjoy tig welding and building stuff.

That being said...

Its time to get my a$$ in gear and get this thing put together. My goal is to have the airplane assembled by april. I realize it is an aggressive goal but that is life....

Also...I'm ocd when it comes to building this stuff. If I were to build rudder peddles I would have to get the tabs laser cut, build jigs for the tubes....the whole thing would be ready for a production run when I got the first four done.

I put in a large list to perferred a few months back.

Most of the stuff they had had the words "a bit of rust" along with the quote...I do not feel like wasting my time. Second, their prices were more than univair half of the time....

Tim

Yeah, Preferred is a mixed bag. They wanted $700 for the jackscrew yoke. Uh, I don't think so....

Try not to be so price oriented.....If you cannot afford to play with the big boys maybe you should pick another game......

Sam

8)

Wow Sam!?! I don't know you very well, but.....Are you serious?

This guy is using his hands and his skill to build a bird that will do what he wants it to.

Sorry, I don't get it if your comment is supposed to be funny.

? DAVE

Sam, did you realize the tail tubes in those Rans airplanes are riveted together, most likely to save a few bucks, maybe its not compromising strength any, but im sure its a lot cheaper. And theres actually Rans owners out there. doug

Sam Beckett said:
Try not to be so price oriented.....If you cannot afford to play with the big boys maybe you should pick another game......

Sam

8)

Interesting comment from a guy who went from a Super Cub to a Rans.

Sam Beckett said:
Sam

8)

Ok Sam, whatever you say. You want to pay $700 for a jackscrew yoke be my guest.

Here is a guy who has bent me over the rail on numerous occasions about me " Selling airplanes ". So I give him Hell about the airplane he is rebuilding and boom..you guys lower the hammer...
Keep picking at the Rans...Ignorance is bliss, I don't knock J-3's, J-5's,PA-12's, PA-11's or Supers if you want to get into design infidelities of Piper products there are plenty of stones that can be thrown.....Even though Pipers are great airplanes they are not where the Earth rises and settles....I have been accused by this guy so many times of false accusations, I do not owe him anything and especially kind words...

Sam, did you realize the tail tubes in those Rans airplanes are riveted together, most likely to save a few bucks, maybe its not compromising strength any, but im sure its a lot cheaper. And theres actually Rans owners out there. doug

Doug, C'mon...What sort of statement is that????...Some of the finest and I might add most airplanes are riveted together..Pick up a copy of Janes Aircraft probably 99.8% are riveted...Look how rag and tube airplanes are held together...
Wood, glue and little tack nails..Cheap???? No I don't think so...
A lot of very old airplanes out there flying with " Old technology"
A Ran's S-7S the airplane I am getting is not a " cheaply built" airplane.
It is a very well built plane with some very nice machining and very solid engineering...A new plane sells for 85k Cheap????
I don't think so...Go purchase a new CubCrafters " Sport Cub.."
Compare the 2 side by side and then fly each one...There is no doubt the Rans S7s will out perform their airplane..If you ever see the one you ordered out of their factory....
I like to build things also..I cannot tell you how many " Old airplanes" I have personally restored in years gone by..for me these days it is a time thing..No time!
By the way I personally am not a " Big Boy" I am 9 now so please be-have, my Dad hates it when I get in these tiffs!

Sam

8)

Sam, you didnt get my drift. When building or buying anything why would you want to spend a 1000 when you only need to spend a 100, to get the job done? If you got a lot to get rid of send some my way. Ill figure out something to give you a tax deduction. Shriners hospital in Minneapolis would be another good place to get rid of some of that extra cash. thanks doug

I flew a pretty nice Rans S-7 last summer or so. It had custom light weight 26" ABW it even had a Baby Bushwheel. I would not even consider this airplane capable of what a S.C. is capable of. I have not flown a Cubcrafters Sport Cub but from the looks of it I think it would take 10 times more abuse then a Rans. The S-7 is not a bad airplane but comparing it to something like a Sport Cub it comes up way short. If I wanted economical flying (not the kind of off airport stuff I do) it may be the way to go but I don't think this airplane could hold up under any kind of abuse that a Cub can, J3 or otherwise. This is just my personal opinion with an hour of time in one (so very limited knowledge). It is kind of like driving a car you don't need to go very far before you know it is a economy car. The great thing about airplanes are there are lots of choices for different missions. Someday the Rans may fit my mission never know!

Greg

Sam did you pick upi your Rans? If you did was you in McCook Nebraska on Oct 13 with it. I met someone with a new rans that jsut picked it up and was on his way to Calif. Afterwards I wondered if it happened to be you.
Bill

Back