• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwhacker profiled tubing kits for the Supercub

pipercubnut

Quapaw, Oklahoma
Hello guys, I have been doing research on airframes and have looked at the Wag-Aero kits and lots of other sources for plans and the like. If I purchased the profiled tubing kit from Bushwhacker, can I use standard PA-18 brackets, float fittings, door frames and the like or do they provide plans that can be purchased with the kits so I could locate my standoffs, mounting tabs etc? The kit looks like a good deal if I wouldn't have to "figure out" how to finish it after the basic cage was complete. My end product (I hope) will mirror the heavy duty bush planes like you guys fly in the North country. I have always wanted the freedom to land in some cramped, rough places and I love low and slow flying. I really want to scratch build and don't mind having to "punt" to figure out what fits what but I guess I am asking what would be the route to go if I wanted to end up with a beefy well built Supercub from scratch?

Greetings and welcome!

I would contact Bushwacker for any details regarding their fuselage package. In theory you should be able to use PA-18 drawings to finish your project. The brackets, fittings should work fine. I believe Bushwacker has a lot of the previous Northland inventory of brackets and fittings so might as well make it a package deal.

Good luck!

Christian

A package deal would be the way to go, at least you would ensure parts compatibility and quality. Which are the best PA-18 drawings and does anyone offer a set with all of the popular mods? Back to the package deal, the Wag-Aero kits have all the brackets as well as the 4130 tubing to build the fuselage for right at $3000 but I think it is just an improved J-3. Does anyone have experience with the Wag kits? Thanks in advance for all the help guys, I have never built an aircraft before and need all the help I can get.

James

Hi, James.

Welcome to the world of SuperCubs! They are a breed of their own.

Give me a shout and I'll help you decide which way to go.

Bugs is right on - it's all standard SC, just wider. (Thanks, Bugs) Check out Bugs' site - there is a wealth of information there, and it takes the mystery out of a scratch build if you decide to save some $$ and go that way.

You are correct, the Wag kits are a modified J3 - ours is the PA-18 version, although I'm building a J-3 fuse right now from scratch, per Piper drawings (and the help of a perfectly straight J3 fuse in my tooling!)

Look forward to hearing from you,

Chris

Hey Chris,
Thank you for the welcome. I figured that it was a beefed up J-3 and I love the J-3 but want a little more oomph. My first three flying lessons were in a PA-11 way back when. I loved it, my instructor was an ag pilot in Carthage Missouri. His ag plane was a Piper Pawnee. That old PA-11 was really cool, he had to prop it but he had it down to a science. I wish that I would have been able to keep taking lessons with him but didn't and I now kick myself. This is no joke, they later tore out the runway and demolished the little terminal building and built a Wal-Mart. Now Carthage doesn't even have an airport. Back to the Cubs though, I want to be able to have more horsepower for shorter takeoff roll and an increased useful load as well as full electric. STOL capability is what I want, I would like to land it on my Grandmothers farm without having to build a runway. My dream is a trip to Alaska to receive instruction in actual mountain terrain. Better than a cruise any day. I would love to incorporate as many modifications as possible to make it a real workhorse for hauling gear and the like. I know that my research has only began. I wish that someone offered plans that were updated, accurate and complete that incorporated all practical Supercub mods. Love those big tundra tires. It still amazes me what some of you guys strap or tie to your Cubs and fly away. It's like a tractor in the sky. Thanks again for your welcome and reply.

James

Hey, James.

The Northalnd PA-18 Drawing has many of the mods built, and so do mine for the wide-body.

Sounds like a SuperCub is what you want.

All the info you seek is out there - let me know how I can help. If you have questions about a mod, there's probably someone here that has tried it or used it, and can give their opinion on it. (Opinion here are free and plentiful!!) Ask and you will receive.

Chris

I love this site, I even set it as my homepage. I have been saving tons of photos. I made a Supercub screen saver out of them. Some of the country that you guys are flying into is just beautiful. Makes me wish I lived up North. Not many mountains in Oklahoma. Some pretty lakes though.

I definitely like the PA-18, I think that I will just try to collect as many blueprints as I can and chat with and ask questions too as many of you guys as I can while I get my shop and tools in shape. I do have one question for everyone, why are floats and skis so expensive? My jaw dropped when I priced a set of skis. Floats cost as much as the plane in some cases, wow. But they sure are cool.

James

pipercubnut said:
why are floats and skis so expensive?

Floats are expensive for the same reason divorce is expensive:
IT'S WORTH IT

If you ever count the rivets & notice where the hell they are, you'll understand. :)
Welcome to this place!

I have to admit that I have never seen a pair of floats up close, so I really don't know how they are assembled. I think that there may be a few planes on floats on Grand Lake near Grove, Oklahoma. I don't think that I will ever have the need for them in this country but have always liked planes on floats. I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers, I just had no idea how much they cost. If a man makes his living with them or lives in an area where they are a "must have" item I can see where they would be well worth the money. Several years ago there was a man that gave instruction in a float plane on Grand Lake, I always thought that it would be fun to learn how to operate an aircraft equipped with floats. :D

Steve Pierce said:
You need to make it to the OK18 Fly-in in May.

Hey Steve,
When is the OK18 fly-in? I had never heard of it but I don't get out much. If it's handy, I'd love to attend if I can.

James

Hey Steve,
I did some digging and found the OK18 Fly-in. It's not that far from where I live. Looks like fun. Might see if the nephews want to go. I haven't really taken the time to introduce them to aviation like I should. Thank you for the heads up.

James

Back