• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building a Sportsman 2+2 (looking for help from you engineering types :D)

SpainCub

Hi all, I am in the mist of starting a new project, this will be a scratch build of a 2+2 and I have begun the undertaking of understanding fully the PA-12/14 design. In this quest, I´d go outside the box and experiment both mathematically and physically (like building and testing stuff) to validate some hypothesis that could lead into deviating from the original plans.

Currently, I am quantifying the structural design of the original wood wing, with the intention to later validate several possibilities and understand how they would influence the end product before the build. Stuff like new spars or changing chord lengths or airfoil like the Riblett 613.5, what happens when you add the VG´s… Yes, many have done this already, and the plane flies, but in avoiding fish tales and deadly mosquito bites out on the water, I prefer quantitative data. Yes, it could all fail, but I´ll take my chances on paper before getting in the air. :D

Ok, so in calculating the moment of inertia (I) for the wing, and integrating this into the EI of each spar, I am pondering if someone know either:

How to calculate the pitching moment (T) for the NACA 35B Airfoil and how to obtain a ration of distribution over the front spar and the rear spar of the wing?
Or, what is the load ratio of the front spar and the rear spar for this airfoil?

If understand correctly, the distance between the spars is maintained along the PA-18-12-14, meaning that the arm will be the same for the pitching moment.

Regards, Hi all, I am in the mist of starting a new project, this will be a scratch build of a 2+2 and I have begun the undertaking of understanding fully the PA-12/14 design. In this quest, I´d go outside the box and experiment both mathematically and physically (like building and testing stuff) to validate some hypothesis that could lead into deviating from the original plans.

Currently, I am quantifying the structural design of the original wood wing, with the intention to later validate several possibilities and understand how they would influence the end product before the build. Stuff like new spars or changing chord lengths or airfoil like the Riblett 613.5, what happens when you add the VG´s… Yes, many have done this already, and the plane flies, but in avoiding fish tales and deadly mosquito bites out on the water, I prefer quantitative data. Yes, it could all fail, but I´ll take my chances on paper before getting in the air. :D

Ok, so in calculating the moment of inertia (I) for the wing, and integrating this into the EI of each spar, I am pondering if someone know either:

How to calculate the pitching moment (T) for the NACA 35B Airfoil and how to obtain a ration of distribution over the front spar and the rear spar of the wing?
Or, what is the load ratio of the front spar and the rear spar for this airfoil or wing?

If understand correctly, the distance between the spars is maintained along the PA-18-12-14, meaning that the arm will be the same for the pitching moment.

Regards,

Hope this helps

Hey Spain Cub,

Check the attached NACA report out.

Figure 30 has normalized moment coefficients for a range of lift coefficients.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

Attachments

• naca-report-331.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 128
surf bird, thank you missed your post!

well, got all my equations sorted out, now I am putting things together... still missing some measurements and wish some could help me with it.
So far I would like t have the measurements from wing root attach to strut attach on the wing, and the wing root attach to the strut attach on the airframe.

I am building some prototypes of the Riblett wing, will have some pictures when it´s a little warmer and I am better to get to the hanger...

Here is the 613.5 drawing I am building from:

um, sure you have the right site?

We here (well, some here) can't even spell hypothsis, and are lucky to get 'thought' correct...;-)

If you want help with colors, and choice of duct tape, (gorilla tape now), maybe help is available... :p

they have calculations for pitching moments?:lol:

Do you have the plans yet? I have a set I got and changed my mind on and went went with the supercub. I would like to sell them.

um, sure you have the right site?

We here (well, some here) can't even spell hypothsis, and are lucky to get 'thought' correct...;-)

If you want help with colors, and choice of duct tape, (gorilla tape now), maybe help is available... :p

they have calculations for pitching moments?:lol:

LMAO! Many times I want to say that stuff. So many interesting posts that with the addition of some "common man" talk would perhaps really be nice. I was looking at the earlier "Riblett, USA 35B, 1234nfgrhnb.48757 airfoil posts and graphs and I couldn't determine for sure if a high CL (is that coefficient of lift?) was a good thing or bad (Ok I new that one but there were other parts that had acronyms that didn't make sense without spending a few hours in engineering class). Over on the Boeing thread the airline pilots were using acronyms with every other word " I was out of 34 for 26 GHWT when the FFH went OL So I refered to 213.4 and found the check list recommended JKHD for 29" or other fly-in posts like "well I'll leave FRG at 10 AM and meet you at noon at LKS. After we grab a cup we can leave for PNM".

Note that Report 331 references the aoa to the bottom of the wing rather than to the chord line that is used today.

Back