• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Brake tie rod

Thanks, for the picture! And happy Easter.

I noticed in your picture the brake pedal is forward of the attachment point. Is that the correct alignment? I've seen them in several places.

Happy Easter guys.

I do believe you are experiencing an optical illusion due to the pedal heel plate being at an angle to the vertical tube. The two tubes are in-line. At the rebuild the pedals were twisted as Mike describes. The horizontal tube was also worn by the bearing saddles. The horizontal tubes were replaced; I have a jig for these pedals. The new tubes were 4130 replacing the original 1025 and to assure that wear in future would not compromise the strength of the pedal, I probably used heavier wall tube than original as well. They will be a lot harder to bend that original Piper pedals and I don't lay into them like that anyway.

With the outboard arm back as far as it can when at rest, the brake pedal heel plates are vertical. If they are leaning too far forward your heels could slip off the pedals. How they are feels "normal and natural" to me. I think the way it works out is when the brakes are "fully applied" the outboard arm is vertical giving maximum leverage therefore greatest braking force.

The brake pedals do not travel a great deal and I can lift the tail when braking heavily when lightly loaded. I just have 850's and stock length gear.

Andrew.

What's the best way to get to the brake pedals?? To bend them back into alignment...

Last edited:
Back