• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best wing tips

I used to have the big droop tips. I rebuilt my plane (PA12) and ended up just squaring off the extended wings with no tips. I am very happy with the performance I have that way.

Agree about making decisions on the magazine's written word. There is a caveat in any opinion or survey for me: I use them to measure my own biases and then do my own thinking.

As for being all wet in articles concerning things we are familiar with, this also could be accurate. It depends on what is being measured. A good example is a Consumer Report on British Sea Gull outboards.

They were "not recommended" because of exposed flywheel, no reverse, risk of burning hands on exposed exhausts. All obvious risks, particularly for those unfamiliar with engines.

At the time the report was made about 25 years ago, the Sea Gull was most reliable engine for my hunting and fishing needs. They're stashed around lakes in plastic garbage bags during winter, always fire up within three pulls.

For my money, for simplicity and reliability, leaving them where I flung them for use in successive years, Sea Gulls are recommended for those who can keep their hands away from bad things and don't need reverse for two horsepower.

Agree about making decisions on the magazine's written word. There is a caveat in any opinion or survey for me: I use them to measure my own biases and then do my own thinking.

As for being all wet in articles concerning things we are familiar with, this also could be accurate. It depends on what is being measured. A good example is a Consumer Report on British Sea Gull outboards.

They were "not recommended" because of exposed flywheel, no reverse, risk of burning hands on exposed exhausts. All obvious risks, particularly for those unfamiliar with engines.

At the time the report was made about 25 years ago, the Sea Gull was most reliable engine for my hunting and fishing needs. They're stashed around lakes in plastic garbage bags during winter, always fire up within three pulls.

For my money, for simplicity and reliability, leaving them where I flung them for use in successive years, Sea Gulls are recommended for those who can keep their hands away from bad things and don't need reverse for two horsepower.

A well-written review!!

Snip snip ... "At the time the report was made about 25 years ago, the Sea Gull was most reliable engine for my hunting and fishing needs. They're stashed around lakes in plastic garbage bags during winter, always fire up within three pulls."

Ah .... Give me availablity to a Sea Gull OB and a 70's Kubota diesel. This would make me a big happy dude!

The California CARB laws are very strict theses days! But, I can now see the "Hollywood" sign from Palos Verdes again!

Without a doubt, one of the dumbest things done to a cub's wing is the wing extension with standard ailerons...who cares what kind of tip you put on after you've made that mistake....it's all bad from there....

We have a customer in Idaho that has been using our products for a long time now and has installed a few of the Stewart System wingtips and the last 2 planes he did the extended the aileron all the way out on with no extra hinge. One of them was on a certified plane and it was field approved for the longer aileron. He seems to like it. I personally would keep the short flap and go with a long aileron if I had to build a square wing. I like the idea of keeping the inboard section of the aileron in the prop wash area. I personally prefer the round wingtip.

Jason

Without a doubt, one of the dumbest things done to a cub's wing is the wing extension with standard ailerons...who cares what kind of tip you put on after you've made that mistake....it's all bad from there....

Nanook, I agree with you 100 percent.

You sure don't mince words....what? did you have a rreeaaalllllll cold bike into work this morning?:)

Dave, It might have something to do with...coldsnap....Janurary....Fairbanks....being a slave to the heating oil tank.....

...was field approved for the longer aileron....
Jason

unfortunately.... the FAA Inspectors cannot do that, (but I have had it done a couple times too)...(outside their authority)

it listed right in the rules, they can't change size of a control surface.... without STC....

there is so much variation from one inspector to another!!

I just weighted every part for the Stewart System wing tip kit and it's just about 5.5lbs a side. It's estimated to be 2.75-3 lbs total weight gain over stock per side after installation and covering including the part to square off the last bay of the aileron. Since the wing starts to taper 1 rib in from the aileron tip once you square off the wing you end up with a full airfoil out to the last bay instead of having 3 bays of diminishing surface area and thickness and a much more efficient tip design for better drag reduction.

For certified fiberglass tips I think you'll have that much weight gain or more just in the fiberglass tip not including the extra spar material, splices, LE & TE skin, and ribs.

I still prefer the look and handling of a stock wing

Jason

Wing Tip Pics 01.jpg
Wing Tip Pics 10.jpg

Attachments

• Wing Tip Pics 01.pdf
    510.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Wing Tip Pics 01.jpg
    Wing Tip Pics 01.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Wing Tip Pics 10.jpg
    Wing Tip Pics 10.jpg